show your bike trailer! and how you hook it up to your bike!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Three - Way Convertible

ratTED said:
This project was inspired by a trailer I saw online. I just imitated the design for the frame and really cheaply. I bought a couple sticks of electrical EMT conduit along with (4) 90 degree bends, and welded it to form a box. I got two 4" angle brackets, cut them in half, and welded them to the frame rails for wheel mounts. Mounted the flatbed with (6) single conduit clips. Then I fabricated a swivel joint to connect the hitch on my Schwinn El Camino. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=69825 Painted it black and added some vintage 20" rear fenders & braces.
BikesEtc010_zps0209d6b1.jpg

(1) I can use it as a flat bed...
The wheels are quick release, and the tow bar is bolted to the inside of the frame and is removable. For storage, the whole thing with the exception of the wood box comes apart with just a few bolts.
BikesEtc013_zps5743c132.jpg

(2) Add the box I built ( inspired by pick up truck side boards) with a tailgate for my cooler or dog...
BikesEtc015_zpsc5c70bb0.jpg

BikesEtc017_zpseff339d2.jpg

BikesEtc012_zps14c93ab0.jpg

(3) Bolt on one, or two steel car top carrier rails to haul my other bikes.
BikesEtc022_zpsedf78db7.jpg

BikesEtc026_zps03a296a5.jpg

BikesEtc033_zpsc684eacf.jpg

BikesEtc011_zps07fbd954.jpg

Nice bike hauler

hey a site for trailer lovers how cool is this!!!!!! so here is what I started with

and this is how it looks now just have to modify the hitch a little!!

next will be adding some atachments etc. kind of wondering about the hard shell trailers? do they float?????

:D :roll: :lol: :lol:

Troy

Pretty much a stock trailer for now but I did add the 1955 license plate thing between the rear reflectors to give it a little style. Eventually I'm going to make a completely custom trailer but this one's a workhorse so I don't want to make it too nice or it'd just get beat up.

My most used trailer. v3. aka "the Lincoln Highway"

It started out as an Instep child trailer. It was missing all the nylon when I got it. I used a Harbor Freight pallet (thin wood there!) and built the box. I painted it in the Lincoln Highway sign motif as we live just a couple blocks from it and our local grocery store is on the Lincoln Highway. I was going to do a woody theme but I wanted lots of visibility. Standard Instep/Schwinn hitch. The tall sides make it great for hauling most anything. No worrys about stuff falling off. Takes 50 pound bags of cat food, litter or bird seed. Objects too big for most bikes fit just fine. Shop vac, folding table or chairs.
The bike is a Magna mtb I converted to coaster brake and painted up like the Partridge Family bus.
IMG_6154.jpg

IMG_6103.jpg

My second trailer. v2.
Built on the ruins of my first that failed on it's maiden ride.

Half inch plywood base. Corner brackets are pvc house corner boards. Sides are steel 2x4's from the local Habitat for Humanity ReStore. Box base has a rubber mat. Wheels are from Northern Tool on a 0.5" solid axle. 2 under rails are from an old bed frame. The axle fits thru 2 holes in that frame that helps spread the load. The tow bar is a piece of back yard kid play ground set. 2" diameter with a nice curve to it. Bolted to the underside of the deck. The hitch is just a 4 inch wide L bracket bolted to the axle. I use a 3" long bolt as the connection.

I've hauled up to 6 bikes at one time in it. That's about 300 pounds. The single solid axle allows for hauling much more weight without putting a twisting force on the frame (see model 1 failure).

I painted the boring galvanized steel 2x4s with gold crinkle paint. The corner boards got red paint and 2" wide reflector tape for more visibility.
The box is 6.5 feet long. Not meant for human transport!

I decorated it the past 2 winters for the local xmas parade. Recreated the 3 wise men scene with lots of lights.

IMG_4598_zps80629aca.jpg

6 bikes on board.
IMG_4754_zps51135412.jpg

IMG_4601_zps43ebd8bf.jpg

2012 parade rigs
IMG_6787_zpsa1ef1435.jpg

wow that is a cool trailer!! have any problems stopping? I think I have a brake idea was gonna try after the build off on the other trailer I have

Troy

My first trailer. v1.
the intent was to make a bike hauler with 3 inverted steel 2x4s to act as wheel troughs. 10 feet long! Well, not long enough to fit 2 bikes end to end. I used some old bed frame parts for the under frame. I pop riveted every thing together. The wheels are 16" with solid bolt on one side axles. That was the main downfall. The lack of a solid axle from side to side meant the weight put a twisting load on the wheels which transferred to the bed frame rails that ripped the pop rivets out. You can see the wheels leaning in quite a bit. I used this trailer just one time. Rode about 6 miles round trip to the local Habitat for Humanity Restore to get more steel 2x4s plus I scored a nice little folding camp chair. I barely made it home. Live and learn. Took a few photos and dismantled it.

ready to go:
IMG_4308_zpsb005d2b0.jpg

IMG_4306_zpse8c7faf3.jpg

IMG_4312_zps12842c1a.jpg

home again
IMG_4313_zps2a693071.jpg

wheels tilting inwards, breaking rivets, tires rubbing.
IMG_4314_zps1fcc5981.jpg

jats said:
wow that is a cool trailer!! have any problems stopping? I think I have a brake idea was gonna try after the build off on the other trailer I have

Troy

Since I was posting 3 times for 3 trailers, I'm not sure which you are referring too. But no I don't have any brake issues with any of them. The 6.5 footer fully loaded is so heavy, it's hard to get it going fast enough to need much for brakes. Just the lousy pressed steel side pulls on the Roadmaster are enough. The Lincoln Highway is always attached to the arty Magna with just a coaster brake and that works fine. I usually try to avoid routes with hills as pulling any trailer up hill is more work than I want.

rick

rickpaulos said:
jats said:

Troy

Since I was posting 3 times for 3 trailers, I'm not sure which you are referring too. But no I don't have any brake issues with any of them. The 6.5 footer fully loaded is so heavy, it's hard to get it going fast enough to need much for brakes. Just the lousy pressed steel side pulls on the Roadmaster are enough. The Lincoln Highway is always attached to the arty Magna with just a coaster brake and that works fine. I usually try to avoid routes with hills as pulling any trailer up hill is more work than I want.

rick
cool, when I toured with a trailer coming off of the cascade mountains was rather intense and had to replace a set of brake pads bought in Sweet Home Oregon form a Ace hardware!!!!

Troy

wow!!!!! that is a cool set up mastronaut :D could you show how the mirror brake set up works?

Troy

mastronaut said:
jats said:
wow!!!!! that is a cool set up mastronaut :D could you show how the mirror brake set up works?

Troy

Thanks! I took the brake off and used the housing for the bar end mirror. It doesn't show much but the crank, but it looks cool as all heck...
sweet :!: :!:

I'm about to build my first trailer. I just test fitted the hitch on the bike:

26395711366370-vi.jpg

All of these trailers are great!

ratTED--Your trailers are ridiculously cool!!

This was a group project at our local bike coop for the local Freedom Festival. Trike & Trailer.

The trike was completely dismantled and repainted and rebuilt.
The trailer was modified with the Statue of Liberty cutouts made of 1/2 plywood and painted by two different local artists.

ready to go at the parade site.
IMG_1134_zps0240054a.jpg

The trailer with the hitch folded under and the jogging wheel added for stability for display.
It's about 7 feet tall.
Img_1258_zpsd3716cf6.jpg

IMG_1257_zps70eddce7.jpg

IMG_1259_zps0a69f9c0.jpg

Latest posts

Back