SHOW US YOUR KLUNKERZ

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I combined a cheap kmart cruiser and an old murray mtn bike. This is what I came up with...
4NuFM2k6DTHLiVc3BR78tvi0hpnbEo2KGwRixg-3k7MLAYspN

Last edited:
thanks, small changes but made a big difference. i changed out the seat from some cheap velo unit. changed the classic odi mushroom grips for long necks, the old school mushrooms were too short for my hands. the long necks are a little smaller diameter, but i like them. changed out the wheels from heavy steel tandem wheels and kenda k80 tires, to hd aluminum wheels from "chuck" with a set of Krad tires. i really like this bike, a lot more now that i ditched the heavy steel wheels and tires. can feel the difference. moves out much easier. the k rad aren't the best for the trails but are awesome on the street. now that brooks saddle on the other hand... definitely not trail friendly.

:) It's not mine, I put it together for a pal. Soon to be dirty I figure.

Kinda a thread jack but here it is:

Measurements:

Bars:

7/8 clamp diameter.

33 inches wide, son.

6 inches of rise

2 1/2 of back sweep

Fork:

The separate fork has a longer steer tube than the one that comes with the frame.

Spacing: 100 mm

From bottom of fork crown to dropout: 13.5 inches

Steer tube: 7 7/8 long

Depth of thread: 3 inches

Steer tube I.D. : 22.2 or 7/8

Crown race diameter: 26.4

Frame:

From back of dropout to head tube: 42 inches

Rear end spacing: 110mm

Head tube I.D.: 32.5

Head Tube Length: 5.5 inches

Chain Stay length: 18.5 to 20 inches

Drop out thickness: 8/32

Top Tube length 23.5 inches

Seat tube length: 17.5 inches

Seat tube I.D. 22.2 or 7/8 diameter

Wheel base: 44 inches about

5/6 speed wheels are 126 mm so the spread is not so big, it's the second one I've klunked out so far.

Here's a link to some other menace bikes and cbc action:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/115543582272654244974

Heres my new Klunker build!

Rare old CW Racing cruiser frame I torture with Porkchops.

Edit: If anyone knows anything about this bike, would love to know. I can't find anything at all. Didn't even think this bike was real when I saw on CL and researching, up until I saw it. CW branded whitewalls?!

Last edited:
Edit: If anyone knows anything about this bike, would love to know. I can't find anything at all. Didn't even think this bike was real when I saw on CL and researching, up until I saw it. CW branded whitewalls?!

There's a similar bike recently posted on the "Strandie" thread over on the Museum.... unless you're the same guy? His name is Kevin, from Ohio.... he claims to be a "Schwinn road bike guy", and it looks like he's running different parts than you are.
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=446554&p=153
Bottom of that page, and top of page 154....

t any rate, i'd say that your bike is more beach/strand than it is klunk.... but it's awesome. Supremely 80s color scheme, too. :113::rockout::113:

That's who I actually got the bike from. He's only a second owner who just flipped it quickly, so not alot of info out there. I have all the og parts, just swapped the seat, pedals, grips and bars it looks,alot tougher now. I have some cheapy white tires I was thinking of swapping on there and riding it, but not sure if im going to keep or trade it.

What's the difference between strandies and klunkers? Drum brakes?

That's who I actually got the bike from. He's only a second owner who just flipped it quickly, so not alot of info out there. I have all the og parts, just swapped the seat, pedals, grips and bars it looks,alot tougher now. I have some cheapy white tires I was thinking of swapping on there and riding it, but not sure if im going to keep or trade it.

What's the difference between strandies and klunkers? Drum brakes?

I haven't seen a lot of drums on strandies.... i'd say that the lines are blurry. it's more of a "feel" thing, related to style and intended purpose. A large bit, in my opinion, is that klunkers are generally repurposed and modified from what they originally were designed for to a new trail-riding form. A strandie is more of a 26" cruiser with bmx parts, designed by the original manufacturer for cruising the boardwalks.

Latest posts

Back