Show us them cars!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't find actual pics of my first two cars but they were:
'51-'56 Mk1 Ford Consul - a bit like a smaller UK version of the '49 Ford (mine was pastel blue):
P1000691.jpg

'62-'66 Mk3 Ford Zodiac - mine was a black ex 'Special Branch' (bit like the FBI) squad car that had allegedly transported a few of London's notorious gangland bosses!
ford_zodiac-000-420x280-1.jpg

Recent:
Austin Healey 100/4 replica (powered by a slightly tuned Pinto engine):
Dorset2003.jpg

Fish.jpg

My last two daily drivers have both been MG ZTs (sadly neither were the 400bhp supercharged V8 versions):
IMG_0479.jpg

Paul040.jpg

I reckon a ZT could possibly be made into quite a nice Lead Sled..

i didn't know mg was still making cars. are they still owned by bl? i had a 63 migit. fun car. my dad restored a few ah 3000 mkII and mkIII's. love their looks. i'd bet a small solid lift v8 would be a fun power plant for one of those, but i guess carroll shelby sorta did something like that already. lol

MG & Rover were sold to BAE Aerospace who then sold them to BMW who kept Mini & sold the rest to the Phoenix consortium who started take over talks with Chinese company SAIC who stalled the deal long enough to close the company & get the designs, tooling & patents for peanuts. A sorry tale though they are now making MGs again (mostly in China), the initial offerings just look like generic South East Asian cars.

Apparently Shelby approached Austin Healey before AC but they turned him down..

UK Roman said:
MG & Rover were sold to BAE Aerospace who then sold them to BMW who kept Mini & sold the rest to the Phoenix consortium who started take over talks with Chinese company SAIC who stalled the deal long enough to close the company & get the designs, tooling & patents for peanuts.

it's easy enough to blame SAIC, but the directors of pheonix personally made millions from the sale of the land in the UK whilst the workforce got shafted. some cynics could perhaps suggest that this was their intention from day 1.

UK Roman said:
Yep, plenty of blame there but kept my summary short so as not to sully a great thread with politics!

Thank you for that.

Did you do the bodywork yourself? As a body man I know how difficult it is to build a black car. (It shows everything) That thing looks flawless.

outskirtscustoms said:
Did you do the bodywork yourself? As a body man I know how difficult it is to build a black car. (It shows everything) That thing looks flawless.

I got the car about 10 years ago from a guy who had just had paint and bodywork done. It looks good from a distance but there are flaws, and you're right you can see every one. I restored the interior and motor a few years back. I got the wheels and tires for it about a year ago.

PowertribeCustoms said:
outskirtscustoms said:

I got the car about 10 years ago from a guy who had just had paint and bodywork done. It looks good from a distance but there are flaws, and you're right you can see every one. I restored the interior and motor a few years back. I got the wheels and tires for it about a year ago.

Cool, I had a '58 Caddy Hearse with '59 quarter panels (My auto body project back in high school) that I painted black and I had to do so many hours of bodywork it was not even funny. Lots of block sanding, wet sanding, looking for imperfections till your eyes hurt and going back over it again and again. Then I had to re-do it when I cut the quarters back off to add in an inch of metal so I could run a wider tire in the back. Loads of work for something so subtle but it looked mean.

IMG_0069.jpg

I just bought it. It's an '89 with an automatic transmission....not a 5.0.

I'm going to drive it; take care of it, and save my money for something I really want. 8)

Jimmy the Gent said:

I'm going to drive it; take care of it, and save my money for something I really want. 8)

'89 was a great year for cars, I've loved every '89 I've had. I had an '89 Mustang GT 5.0, great car, drove it through high school, college, and first year of marriage. It was a 5 speed on the highway with the air conditioner going I could get 28.5mpg. Amazing. My previous bored out 5.0, 1983 model, this was before they were a high-output engine, it also had a 4 barrel, it got 6.9mpg and wasn't nearly as fast as my stock '89.

Shouldn't be hard to find a set of 16" Pony wheels for that car and it will have the look of the V8. My brother-in-law had a '86 6 cylinder, he had GT wheels and put dual pipes on it and it had the look too. I love Mustangs... I need to stop now.

Jimmy the Gent said:
IMG_0069.jpg

Sweet Stang! :D Seems like you would really want a 1974 Dodge Monaco ex-ploice car :mrgreen:

I had one of those 4=bbl 5.0 'stangs for a while. Crappy latches, lousy traction in bad weather, and the '68 Caddy Coupe I had could kick its tail in anything but a slalom. Still had fun driving it though. :wink: And the chicks thought it was cool. :mrgreen:

yoothgeye said:
Jimmy the Gent said:

'89 was a great year for cars, I've loved every '89 I've had. I had an '89 Mustang GT 5.0, great car, drove it through high school, college, and first year of marriage. It was a 5 speed on the highway with the air conditioner going I could get 28.5mpg. Amazing. My previous bored out 5.0, 1983 model, this was before they were a high-output engine, it also had a 4 barrel, it got 6.9mpg and wasn't nearly as fast as my stock '89.

Shouldn't be hard to find a set of 16" Pony wheels for that car and it will have the look of the V8. My brother-in-law had a '86 6 cylinder, he had GT wheels and put dual pipes on it and it had the look too. I love Mustangs... I need to stop now.

This is my second Mustang. I had a '92 with a five speed (also not a 5.0). The reason why I bought this one is the fact that I really needed a car; and the non-V8 is great on gas, not to mention being plentiful to find around here. I may modify it a little; but I'm most likely going to keep it up as may main car.

What I would like to get is a set of black steel wheels and chrome lug nuts for it...

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Sweet Stang! :D Seems like you would really want a 1974 Dodge Monaco ex-ploice car :mrgreen:

.....with a cop motor; a 440 cubic inch plant...cop tires,cop suspension, cop shocks...a model made before catalytic converters, so it'll run good on regular gas.... :mrgreen:

That's what I want to save for.... 8)

OK, here are a couple of mine, nothing too special .
My 2000 Pontaic GTP, a nice comfortable car.
012-2-1.jpg

My $100,000.00 car, a 1993 Ford Festiva. Thats right a $100,000.00 car. A few years back an accountant crunched the numbers, saying that driving his Festiva could save him $100,000.00 over the period of 10 years, Opposed to buying a brand new car every 2 years, when you considered the depreciation, insurance, taxes, mpg, and maintinance. Well you know how accountants work the books, Ive owned this car for over 10 years, and yes it has saved me alot of money, but my bank account is far from being $100,000.00 heavier. Oh well, its still a fun little car to drive, and I get asked if I want to sell it, all the time. Something about it getting around 40 mpg that makes it desireable. I drive it around town when Im out garage saleing. Ive hauled home as many as 3 complete bikes in it, with the hatch open. It will soon be transformed into an art car with a Monopoly theme.
013-1-1.jpg

dangratsdan said:
OK, here are a couple of mine, nothing too special .

013-1-1.jpg

love it. i had a 93 festy and i wish i had kept it. way over 40mpg and drove and ran good for what it was. plus like you said, lots of interior space. with the price of gas now a days you can't even find one for sale around here anymore. everyone is holding on to them.

Latest posts

Back