Show us them cars!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baron von Zach said:
streetpirate said:
Baron von Zach said:
All so-called 'Muscle Cars' are way overrated. Essentially they are the biggest rubbish ever built.
With an Omni/Horizon, you can blast down the straight, and if ends in a bend, you can go around that too.

Mr-Bean_600b-600x400+%25281%2529.jpg

_RLX7677.jpg

Don't compare apples to oranges. Trans Am cars were severley modified from stock and packed the smallest of all small blocks (302CI limit), which actually makes sense.

Compare these:

Jensen_Interceptor_05sml.jpg

PGrr4406blue.gif

Both are 440TNT powered. And guess which of the two yields more on the auction block today.

the roadrunner.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/applicat ... =90&aid=51

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/applicat ... 67&aid=403

both nice 'verts, roadrunner is a "lowly" base model 383 car. (does get a value boost from the 4 speed)

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I'm looking for some advice.

Back in November, I did this to my MK4 GTI... :oops:
DSCF3230.jpg

Well, since it was my fault AND I've wanted to update the look of the car, I purchased this integral front bumper cover/grill that updates the look to an 'MK5'
bpvwg45r32-pics.jpg

Now to my 'issue'. As you can see, the unit has a 'chrome' front grille. That's not gonna work for me, so what is the best method of getting the chrome 'cladding' off the plastic.

The part will most likely be installed and painted professionally. Should I prep the grille area, or just let the shop do it?

Here's pic of a similar car I found on the interwebs that has the 'look' i'm going for.
DSC_0059.jpg

As always, any help is appreciated.

Cheers,
Dr. T

If you trust the shop to paint it, then I think you should trust them to prep that chrome to hold paint, if you only trust them to paint the bumper, then I'd scuff up that chrome myself.

My little sister and her husband wanted the "gold package" emblems on their newer Land Cruiser blacked out, I told them how to do them themselves, but my brother-in-law took it to a shop, the guy talked to the talk and then put a THICK layer of candy black on them. They looked really good... for a little while, but the candy is lifting around the edges and about to pop off, you can see the unprepped gold underneath.

I'll probably stop by with the part (when it comes in) and have a talk with the guy, if he seems hesitant or can't guarantee it to last as long as the paint, I might as well give it a go myself (prep-wise anyway, I want it painted professionally)

I just read an article on a model car site that suggests using common laundry bleach to remove the chrome, then Easy-off to remove the remaining clear 'adhesion' product.

Anyone ever try this/ Anyone have any old model car parts, some bleach and Easy-off and willing to do some 'experimenting'?

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Anyone ever try this/ Anyone have any old model car parts, some bleach and Easy-off and willing to do some 'experimenting'?

I guess this is only suggested for chrome plated plastic? I might be able to find a piece of trim in the shop.

I was about to suggest using (thick) bleach to get the chrome off, but I'm unsure whether the pieces on the VW grille are plastic or metal.

Bleach will NOT work with metal! You can only use it on chrome plated plastic, where it works a treat. I've used it may times to get the chrome off plated plastic interior parts, such as instrument clusters, vents, knobs, buttons, etc.

I can't call AAA for this one!!! I was looking for an excuse to get some Pit Bull tires,I guess now im going to have to! 8) :mrgreen:
camera-Sophia10.jpg

FatBoy said:
I can't call AAA for this one!!! I was looking for an excuse to get some Pit Bull tires,I guess now im going to have to! 8) :mrgreen:
camera-Sophia10.jpg

That looks expensive.

FatBoy said:
camera-Sophia10.jpg

Judging from the lack of tread, that tire didn't owe you anything! :lol: I had a tire incident last spring, weird noise at 10pm. Didn't figure it out until the next day when I saw this!
CRIM0002-6.jpg

-Adam

Rustinkerer said:
FatBoy said:
camera-Sophia10.jpg

Judging from the lack of tread, that tire didn't owe you anything! :lol: I had a tire incident last spring, weird noise at 10pm. Didn't figure it out until the next day when I saw this!
CRIM0002-6.jpg

-Adam

The shocking thing was theres almost 1/4" of tread left and not even close to the wear bars..At almost 500 bucks a tire I thought they would last a little longer!
8) :mrgreen:
blazertire.jpg

Baron von Zach said:
I really like the Horizon. Not many left now. I remember when those were new, I worked for the PX system in Frankfurt in the early Eighties. There was the GLH (Goes Like Hell) version with a 2.2 turbo IIRC. Impossible to get tyres for it at the time. I still remember the size - P195/50R15.

Not many left? A K-CAR?! Good Lord! Those things run forever! There are a bunch of those little scamps runnin' around here. Aires, Horizon, Caravan, Shadow, Le Baron, Charger Daytona, all in the plenty! We had two Shadows growing up...and they didn't die easily. The Stratus we bought (still got it) in 1998 still runs at 265,296 hardcore, very un-pampered miles. It does need a bit of work, but for a car with that many miles who's complaining? Not I! After we bought the JA car is when things went down hill for Chrysler...that marriage with Mercedes ended in a nasty divorce I must say.

I do have the biggest automobile crush on the new Challengers.... :p

Of all the econoboxes of the 80s, I've seen more -Cars than I count begin to count, a handful of VW's many Ford, one Yugo (imagine that! Theres one still alive out there!). But only two Chevettes and NO Pontiac 1000's. My step-dad's chevette rusted out until the drive shaft about fell out. Typical modern GM metal.

Baron von Zach said:
partsguy said:
Not many left? A K-CAR?!

The Horizon is anything but a K-Car.

partsguy said:
I do have the biggest automobile crush on the new Challengers.... :p

Are you a hairdresser? :mrgreen:

K-cars were based on the L-body chassis, and as much as I don't like most new cars, new challengers are sex with wheels

yoothgeye said:
Looks like you kept the chrome or has it been "darkened"?

Haven't touched the chrome yet (except for putting a magnet on it to confirm the plastic that lies beneath). The grill is one piece that pops in, so I'll see what he says on Saturday about painting it out and go from there.

Stay tuned.....

Cheers,
Dr. T

streetpirate said:
K-cars were based on the L-body chassis,

Correct. The Horizon however was based on the French Simca.

streetpirate said:
and as much as I don't like most new cars, new challengers are sex with wheels

They are a bit too autosexual for my taste, that's all. But make no mistake, I like them, too.

Latest posts

Back