Show Off Your Finished Huffy Cranbrook's and Nel Lusso

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it's not a finished bike as such but just picked up this Huffy MAMBO earlier today!!

Some of the old MAMBO advertising on the seat and chainguard.

So now I have a his and her's cruiser for the beach and even a spare bike when I take the custom one out

HERE'S ANOTHER FLAT BLACK VERSION BUILT FOR KEVIN IN LOMPOC,CA. (THIS CRANBROOK WAS GLOSS BLACK), ADDED BLACK TIRES, AFTER MARKET FENDERS, BLACKED OUT BARS.
IMG_20101221_112027.jpg

Love the look of this one.:happy: What paint did you use for the flat black?
Franco

@franconuevo can't loose with flat black. Painting with rattle can flats is so fool proof, i let my kids paint my base costs flat, then I finish with details & clear.

Prep the surface well & shoot with rattle can krylon, valspar or better. I like krylon, but if i dont say valspar someone else will have to

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

yes, I didn't know whether you sprayed or brushed.
I used to have a spray booth, now I'm not set up for that, but getting .... good with rattle can paint jobs....Krylon user here...good color choice, nice fan pattern on the spray
Now, I've always had trouble with the clear coats..lifting , peeling, so I usually rub the finish out by hand and wax......
what's your method with clears
This could be a whole topic...probably is already...lots of vids on UTube how to shoot clear, everyone's comes out like glass, mine look like a cloudy day with wrinkles...:21:

Thank you,
Franco

this is a really nice thread, so many Huffy's.

Mine is not a Cranbrook, it is the uncle to them. (it does have a Cranbrook seat)

1980 Good Vibrations, very similar look, but mine has the made in the USA tag on it. I got it new, I have changed it up over the years. I refuse to repaint it, I like the stock paint with it's battle scars on it. I have rode it on the pacific and atlantic coasts, now I ride it almost everyday in North Texas when I am home.

In 2005 I put it away in the barn, I pulled it out in March when I was home from a project in Connecticut and made the decision to bring it back to life. So here are some before and what it is like today shots.

The frame, rear hub, crank, handlebars and gooseneck are stock, the rest has happened since about '87 through now.
out of the barn rrb.jpg
cali tag.jpg
huffy nose job rrb.jpg
huffy complete Jan 1 16 rrb.jpg
Huffy rim shot.jpg
original bars rrb.jpg
rear wheel rrb.jpg

oh yeah, when I moved to Texas from Huntington Beach in 94', it had a really nice mid 50's Troxel on it, then it got stolen, the whole bike. I got it back about 3 months later, I found a kid riding it.

It was trashed, that was when I put the springer on it because the original forks were bent when I got it back, and the beautiful white troxel had been painted black and cut up.

Last edited:
Ha, what a great thread. I've customized a few of these bikes now. Here's one of them:
DSC01852.jpg

DSC01854.jpg
Hi. Im looking for stuff for a cranbrook. Can you recommend a bike shop? im needing chrome fenders and a med. bent springer fork also chrome. i dont have any exp. with this.

ebay has springers, or find a local bike shop that can order them.

I got my fenders off of a 2004 Huffy good vibrations cruiser. Mine did not have them new.

No local bike shop here. I must go 50 miles to find anything more than a walmart or something. No one that can think outside of the box when it comes to finding and ordering stuff. A super good online shop that knows this bike and where to get the aftermarket parts and acc. I need would be great. Or someone who has done one before and can tell me who i need to call.
I think getting the med. Bent chrome springer forks will be the hard part.
Thanks to all for any info.

hope we don't ruin the Cranbrook thread with the big brothers to it.

I found out about a vintage Huffy middleweight at the end of January, saw a picture of it and started obsessing over it.

Finally got the number of the woman who had it, and found out if I wanted it, I had to buy not just it, but 3 bikes, and she thought they were worthy of a lot of money.

Anyway, negotiated for over a month via text and calls, finally went down to Dallas last weekend to get them. Got a 52' 24" girls JC Higgins, a 58' Huffy middleweight and a 64' Raleigh built, Huffy Sportsman. The two Huffy's I really only had to put air in the tires and a couple drops of oil. The Higgins will take a little work. Already sold the road bike but kept the one I wanted, the 58'.

These three bikes were locked up in her parents garage in 1965, where they sat until last Saturday when I took them out.

Anyway, here it is. Not a Cranbrook, but all Huffy.

huffy side.jpg

it cleaned up nicely, here it is with my 1980 Good Vibrations and my wife's 2015 Nel Lusso.

20160314_172024.jpg 20160314_172032.jpg 20160314_172108.jpg

and their British cousin, the 1964 Huffy Sportsman, it already has a new owner who is in love with it.
20160314_145240.jpg

Latest posts

Back