SHOW ME YOUR WORKSPACE / SHOP

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree with Luke, nice set-up. Those old bike shop clamps are the best too ! Was it a Var clamp by chance ?
I think it is.. I got just the clamp at LBS for I think $30 for it.. I love this thing.. I made it to rotate left and right and also will do a 360 if I need it too.. I built the stand to be mobile in the garage and also when I take off the parts I can also lay my tools and parts on the carpeted top of the cabinet. It also has storage bellow for when I take off the parts I just open the cabinet doors and that way they don't get in the way or get lost too. This thing is really handy and it doesn't get top heavy either...
Thanks for possitive comments guys..

So, this is my workshop. It's an 80'x200' garage which my mom's ex-husband built to hold a couple of his fire trucks. Anyone want a '65 Mack R-model or a '29 Model A fire chief's car? Maybe a '70 Fairlane? The '70 Cutlass is mine .... The rest of the junk needs to go!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Here's where I spend way too much time.
It's only small, single garage size about 5.5x3m, but I cram a lot of stuff in there...

Been in this house for 7 years now and this shed was completely bare when we moved in :)

I keep rearranging and adding shelving and more stuff and more tools all the time.

The latest addition is the shelving by the lathe to keep steel offcuts etc somewhat organised.

Best part is it's attached to the back patio so when it's raining I can walk from the house to the shed without going outside :)

The stereo is connected to the stereo in the house and I can play anything off the computer inside both here, the lounge room and the computer room.
Or any one place or all of them at once.

The big round table is a concrete cutting blade mounted on bearings.
Supposed to be a welding table but any surface in there is fair game to put stuff on.

Multi coloured rope light on the ceiling for evening mood lighting.

:)

There is a big door down the end where the speakers are, but it doesn't get used often.
Note the aircon in the door BTW.
A much needed addition.

Also have the air vent in the roof with an extractor fan.
I've recorded temps above 45c in there in summer.
Part of the roof is tin and the rest is opaque plastic.
It is good in that it lets in light, but bad as it gets hot.
Gonna line the outside of the roof with shade cloth very soon to take some more heat off it.

jIMqTCG.jpg

E3g5ENC.jpg

JYu7zsV.jpg

JHDjXUL.jpg

qK8bE3t.jpg

v4Se9xM.jpg

XUN0rRh.jpg

h2G7ipk.png

Just had a look through all the pics in the thread.
Love seeing the different setups.

The Airstream takes the cake though.
:cool2:

Also see a lot of people wasting valuable wallspace with posters and signs.
:acute:

I wish I had a bit more space so I could hav a bench/table in the middle and be able to walk around whatever I'm working on.
:rolleyes:

it's like the Thunderdome down here... "Two bikes enter.. one bike leaves"

better shot of the actual "workspace" lol
O wow, never thought of it like that. All my builds come from scrap. Once a week two junk bikes are joined (parts smash) to form one perfectly adequate, maybe even attractive piece of transportation. Two bikes enter, one bike leaves! New shop mantra, thanks!
I'll send up some pics of the Chimera laboratory
(GB pronunciation) this evening!

e66dec2a2972a98215fa8942c57af500.jpg

8acfcc3b25a70b98c0c32b4a8b6abb36.jpg

On a good day; looks more like this when Kate's not home
948cc253dbce49561c0b4ff83d4f3fd9.jpg

I have been warned the bikes are not allowed in the living room once the floors are finished. I still have the other spaces though.

It wasn't me I swear.

e66dec2a2972a98215fa8942c57af500.jpg

8acfcc3b25a70b98c0c32b4a8b6abb36.jpg

On a good day; looks more like this when Kate's not home
948cc253dbce49561c0b4ff83d4f3fd9.jpg

I have been warned the bikes are not allowed in the living room once the floors are finished. I still have the other spaces though.

It wasn't me I swear.

Holy moly!

:eek:

This isn't going to be pretty. I currently live in an apartment. A one bedroom apartment. I currently have 8 bikes. One, the blue Felt cruiser is still waiting for tires from Deutschland, My Felt "Thunder Star" is on consignment along with a red Felt Yale that I built. The rest are with me and this is my living room with its freshly cleaned carpet. This is also my workspace. Yes, if you are a woman reading this, I do not have a wife or a girlfriend.

ace167a2826a0275684fb0c389fe00d5.jpg

3fdffe9d931978de9beafd4598b429c0.jpg

83398d434a66d200a7cc7a20da56ff67.jpg

If I did have a girlfriend she probably would have a lovely smile
, a butt smaller than mine and the cutest bicycle ever! For my next project, I am looking for another aluminum Felt Cruiser frame and a Cannondale Lefty fork and stem. I already have the wheels, stem, seat, bars, disc brakes, brackets, tires, grips, tubes, cranks and bearings and the powder coater and polisher are on standby. You haven't seen my parts closet which I will be cleaning today. Sheesh! All painting is done on my patio to the chagrin of my neighbors.

bb305a56872d294128c284f4ae3321d6.jpg

- by Gigmata

Last edited:
20150117_131925.jpg

20150117_015159.jpg

20150117_015040.jpg

20150117_132055.jpg

This thing in front of the rear wheel, the fork and bars my 4yo made. She put a pink rain coat, rainbow rubber boots and tied a stuffie arpund the bars to make a 4' tall Hello Kitty! All this one day while I was stripping bikes.

Thanks for looking!

~Lucas
You down with OPC?

Last edited:
IMG_3263.jpg

IMG_9161.jpg

These shots are from my other spot, I call it the vault. Its long term storage at a friend's place. About 33.333333% is his.

20150207_142832.jpg

This is what outdoor storage looks like in Maine. Weve had plenty more snow since this pic.

~Lucas
You down with OPC?

Last edited:
I've recently relocated and still putting my new work space together. I have been wanting a bike work stand for a while but also a bench to work on them as well. Why not combine the two. So, that's what I did. Total cost was about $85. The bottom sports castors with plastic wheels and can be steered on one end. The bottom of the table can house the smaller totes for parts storage. I may make other items for it as needed. I thought it cool that the wall mounted bike stand came with two wall plates. Once I get my tear down and build areas straightened I'll post some updates.
DSCN1363.jpg

DSCN1366.jpg

DSCN1364.jpg

Thought I would post some photos of my workspace in the basement. It works but someday I would love a garage or pole barn... something on ground level because it's cool till you have to haul a heavy cruiser or tandem up the stairs :lol: but it is a heated basement so it works nice for the michigan winters :) but yeah it has taken over... quite the sickness haha!

on the way down
DSC07576_zps819d026d.jpg

my bmx corner
DSC07602_zps8bb149bc.jpg

parts pile
DSC07603_zps79233375.jpg

DSC07605_zpsa6d9a719.jpg

DSC07606_zps9184d845.jpg

DSC07608_zpsde3b9da1.jpg

DSC07609_zps7e78b618.jpg

DSC07610_zpsb98a6955.jpg

work area