• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to RatRodBikes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Shipping whole bike options

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Pick up a free bike box from your local bike shop.
2. Stop by Home Depot or Lowes and buy some foam pipe insulators, zip ties and shipping tape.
3. Remove front wheel, handlebars, stem, pedals, seat and possibly front fork if box is not large enough.
4. Wrap foam pipe insulators around all painted frame tubes and use zip ties to secure them.
5. Place piece of cardboard between front wheel and side of frame and zip tie wheel to side of the frame towards the front of the bike.
6. Make sure everything in the box is one solid mass without any independent movement of parts.
7. After box is taped shut, measure length, width and height...rounding up any number above .5."
8. Use a bathroom scale to weigh yourself and then weigh yourself holding the box. Subtract first number from the second to get the weight of the box.
9. Go to www.shipbikes.com and choose "Ship a Bike."
10. Go through process and purchase shipping label.
11. Print label off and then tape the label to the side of the box. Also write tracking number on the side of the box with marker.
12. Drop box off at a local FedEx Office location and ask for them to scan it and give you a reciept.

Thanks Sandman. I appreciate the info. Got a few bikes in going to unload and wanted to make sure I could ship.

2. Stop by Home Depot or Lowes and buy some foam pipe insulators, zip ties and shipping tape.
3. Remove front wheel, handlebars, stem, pedals, seat and possibly front fork if box is not large enough.
4. Wrap foam pipe insulators around all painted frame tubes and use zip ties to secure them.
5. Place piece of cardboard between front wheel and side of frame and zip tie wheel to side of the frame towards the front of the bike.
6. Make sure everything in the box is one solid mass without any independent movement of parts.
7. After box is taped shut, measure length, width and height...rounding up any number above .5."
8. Use a bathroom scale to weigh yourself and then weigh yourself holding the box. Subtract first number from the second to get the weight of the box.
9. Go to www.shipbikes.com and choose "Ship a Bike."
10. Go through process and purchase shipping label.
11. Print label off and then tape the label to the side of the box. Also write tracking number on the side of the box with marker.
12. Drop box off at a local FedEx Office location and ask for them to scan it and give you a reciept.
Kinda vague, could you elaborate please. Thanks

Or a good size flat screen TV box from the curb or Best buy. Will usually require some extra taping and reinforcement. I've had good luck going that route and then wrapping the whole thing in craft paper for stealth as well as extra protection

I shipped a bike using bikeflights last year. Paid the extra $5 for insurance and dropped it off at the nearby UPS store as per the instructions. Well UPS destroyed it and refused any responsibility for it. Bikeflights paid the owner off.

I worked in an lbs for 10 years. Packed and shipped a few dozen bikes with no problems. IMO I packed it well. You read stories about how UPS or FEDEX or brandX shipper ruined a package. Any shipper can destroy or "lose" a package. There is no best but there are those that stand behind the deal.

Just shipped a bike to Texas...I didn't break it down as far as I normally do (left forks/stem/frame left assembled)...there just isn't much gained with a 29" bike. Bikeflights was ~$16 more than shipbikes this time. It is very similar to stock market fluctuations...moral of the story, always check both (no point to check USPS for full bikes...pure robbery).

Mate you can easily do so with the help of shipping companies. I generally use Citizenshipper because they provide insurance coverage and the some didnot provide insurance coverage due to which it will be difficult for them to manage the expenses if some damage occurs during the movement of the bike.

I shipped a bike not too long ago.
the price changed from when I first decided to do it, and when I actually did it.
so definitely check. I think I ended up using ship bikes. Also, I paid an extra $7.00 or something like that. It was less than $10.00 ,and they came and picked up the boxes bike at my house. Four days later it was in California.

Latest posts

Back