Shims

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I need to shim up from 22.2 to 24.5.

I know there's pre made shims, but what are some common tricks for this size?

This isn't for the stem, it's for attaching a switch made for 1" motorbike bars.

If it's not supporting anything that would put on a lot of torque, try PVC pipe. I just used some scrap Schedule 40 3/4" to do this very thing. The ID is a little smaller than the 22.2 bar, but the OD is right for 24.5. I don't know how tight your clamp is, so you might have to sand the OD a little as it will expand in diameter slightly when you get them over the bars, but the clamp I used had plenty of adjustment. I cut the PVC ring lengthwise into two pieces and, when I compressed the clamps, they were forced to conform to the slightly larger diameter bar. You could probably just cut a slot in one side if you could slide the shim over the end of the bar to get it where you want it as the 2-pieces is a little ungainly (but not that bad). Obviously, I wouldn't do this with anything that's a potential safety issue if it slips, but these seem pretty solid and are certainly fine for a switch.

One I made 4 years ago... :)
https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/mongoose-stat-back-from-the-brink.98084/

Well at a swap a few weeks ago I bought some nice chrome bars the seller said came from a small Honda motorcycle for $4. At the Oshkosh bike swap I picked up a nice shiny stem heavier built than the original equipment one for $2. Made spacers out of a piece of tubing from an old treadmill and It's real nice comfortable now.

DSCF1621.JPG

DSCF1623.JPG

They have never slipped.

ya, as said, pvc pipe. I used some to adapt a clampy seat post rear rack that came with no adapters.

Just a switch? Cut yourself a rubber ribbon from an old inner tube and wrap it around the bar. If you accidently whack it, it ill usually let the switch move instead of damaging it.

Just a switch? Cut yourself a rubber ribbon from an old inner tube and wrap it around the bar. If you accidently whack it, it ill usually let the switch move instead of damaging it.

That's how I do it. Switches, lights, bells, etc...they don't need firmly affixed like a stem or brake lever. The rubber insulator keeps the squeaks and rattles low, as well.

While old tubing is a good idea, he's got to go from 22.2 to 24.5 mm (7/8 to 1"). While that will likely work, there's going to be a lot of squish in there once he wraps it around enough to make up that big a difference in diameter.

Tried an off cut from some weather stripping. Took thick.

I got the rubber shim from an old cheap light. It's slightly too thin, but holds tight enough for now.
Till I stumble across just the right thickness rubber.

Latest posts

Back