Shimano Nexus 4

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Just picked up a NOS 2003 Marin Stinson and it came with a Shimano Nexus 4 hub with the built in drum brake....man this is a sweet set up.

If anyone is considering using this hub on a project, it would be well worth it. Instant, quiet shifts and the braking is awesome too. Now I see why these Nexus hubs bring so much money on Ebay. :lol:

100_2688.jpg

100_2698.jpg

100_2690.jpg

100_2689.jpg

hey Steve thats similar to what I have coming for my Schwinn motorbike frame I am building now except mine is the coaster brake version of the same hub
they claim it stops better than the roller brake but I have no clue haven't seen either one before
the 4 speeds are no longer made either I guess
did you get a super deal? taking it apart for your rat? lol

Hooch said:
did you get a super deal? taking it apart for your rat? lol

Ha Ha....this one's staying together. :mrgreen:

One of the LBS around here shut down back in 2005 and they auctioned off all of their inventory. A guy locally bought a lot of the bikes and he has been selling them off on the CL for the past few months. I had a Marin Bolinas Ridge mountain bike for many years, but hardly rode it because it was an off-road bike. I ended up selling it on the CL and I decided to get this Stinson as a replacement.

I needed a good solid, safe, dependable rider to take out with the family and around town.

I was hesitant at first when I heard it was only a 4 speed, but after I took it for a quick spin I realized that the range of gears was actually pretty nice...especially for good old flat Texas.

I was also surprised by the stopping power of the drum brake out back. I like the fact that it's hand operated too.

This bike is quick, light and very nimble. Just love the tight instant shifts!

I love the Nexus hubs. I have the 3 and 7 speed hubs. Never had a problem and I like keepin up with the skinny tire bikes on my Fats.

Solid rider...

Ya a solid reliable rider is needed. Thats why I bought the Ratfink LOL.

I like those see through chain gaurds...and cool shifter with gear indicator.

At the least it needs some white walls. :lol:

I dunno, i got some tan walls on my fuji racer.

My RRBBO has a Nexus 3 set up and I test rode it after I got it all set up..
one of the reasons why I am so excited to finish and ride it again,
It shifted like a dream..I would love a 4 or a 7 for a future Rat Project.

very nice bike Steve..the pride of Marin County California.

peace,
Kev.

how does that shifter work with the nexus kev?
I want a different shifter for my nexus 4 spd but haven't received it yet to know how I am gonna do it yet
if it doesnt have to be indexed I might use a cool looking locking throttle cable we sell at work I want something small tho similar to what you made

Hooch said:
how does that shifter work with the nexus kev?
I want a different shifter for my nexus 4 spd but haven't received it yet to know how I am gonna do it yet
if it doesnt have to be indexed I might use a cool looking locking throttle cable we sell at work I want something small tho similar to what you made

it works great..the side of the shifter lever( look close at my picture of it in the RRBBO thread ) has a adjustment to tighten it right down so it doesn't skip around outa gear now.

It works great Hooch,

the nexus 4 is very much like the 3 and 7. however it is no longer in production. guess shimano figured they had it covered with the 3 and 7 although now they have the 8 as well so go figure.

Latest posts

Back