Shimano Jockey Wheel interchange or replacements?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Got a well used Mongoose Crossway 250 with Shimano SIS index 7 speed Rear Der. Rides and shifts good, just a little rattle when pedaling. Jockey wheels are really tore up tho. Can I swap jockey wheels from a rear der in my stash?

If you have the room, you can fit a pair with a larger number of teeth. I've done it and it works fine.

*Edited to be written more clearly, though I don't think anyone thought I meant larger sized teeth.

Last edited:
The Shimano jockey wheels are pretty standard across their various derailleurs. I would not recommend mix & match with other manufacturers, however.

Started to clean up derailleur and discovered the jockey wheels are crammed with greasy dirt! So much junk stuck to the wheels it made it look like teeth were missing. Even though its a used hybrid 29er, It's obviously got tons of miles on it. Given a good clean up and it's off for a test ride.

I use aerosol carb cleaner, and blow them out with air. Plenty of rags to keep the gunk off the bike.
Relube with your favorite sauce. I use bar and chain oil for chainsaws, it has a wax component.

Not sure if its bike mechanic approved, but its stuff I already have in the garage.

Latest posts

Back