Shifter console decals: Huffy & Sears

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I've got a couple of Huffy consoles that have good decals, but the chrome is garbage. I have a place in town that can chrome them, but what do I do about the decals? Well, I worked with Bruce Crawford and he's recreated the decal set for the Huffy consoles!

4E1FSH.jpg

I also had him create the decal for my Sears console. Mine is in gold, but he can do them in blue and purple as well.

OBGvNX.jpg

BAM! The last touch on my Spyder restoration!

p4R0zp.jpg

Lastly, I asked him to recreated the Huffy 24" head badge. He also did one for the 20" bikes as well. I'm going to put this decal over the head badge I have so it still looks like a head badge, and will look good!

6e17Kn.jpg

The initial work costs a bit, but I took that for the team. If you need any of these, talk to Bruce. If you need a console rechromed, talked to me. We can work out a deal to make your parts part of a bigger order which will spread around the cost.

I have at least 1 possibly 2 of the consoles that I want to get chromed and I could use some of the decals as well. I'll PM you on the consoles for an order after I look at mine.

The rechrome is "ordered" on a 12" x 12" grate for a set price. Whether I fit one item or 15, it's the same price. So, the more I can squeeze the better. Height doesn't matter, only length and width. So, PM me with your length's and widths if they are not the standard Huffy console (or let me know if they are) and I'll plan out the grate and let you know of a price.

Nice! now if I just HAD a console to put these on I would have nearly all the parts for my slingshot...I don't think many Huffies survived out here in Michigan! Who was it that made the Huffy style rail end caps out of Aluminum on here? I need a set of those too.

Nice! now if I just HAD a console to put these on I would have nearly all the parts for my slingshot...I don't think many Huffies survived out here in Michigan! Who was it that made the Huffy style rail end caps out of Aluminum on here? I need a set of those too.
That would be me, let me know if you still need a set or how many. Crash got my last set a couple weeks ago so I plan on running some more in the next week or so. PM me

I've figured out a plan for chroming.... sort of. I've created a grid of 12x12. I did the calculations, and if it's a full grate, then each square inch will cost $1.50. But if the grate is less full, obviously that goes up. So it pays to fill it. So if you'd like to estimate what it will cost you, make yourself a grid and set your piece on it. Each square that the piece touches is $1.50. For example, the Huffy console shown below is taking up 27 squares, so that's $40.50.

With my stuff accounted for, I have room for two more Huffy consoles if someone is interested. After that we'll have to see how much interest there is to see if we can fill another grate.

t9dNZm.jpg

Jesse, you mentioned you were looking into reproducing the frame protector plates. Any progress with that?

I've tried several things and can't seem to get them, the thin material and curves are just to hard to reproduce, they were apparently stamped out, if only had the die. Sorry, I keep my eyes open for them at swap meets on used 5 speed set ups but no luck yet.

I just need one (for now). And they seem to be impossible to find on their own. I'm sure a lot were just discarded because they were a bit of a pain in the butt to install. But they just look so "Huffy" that they're almost required for a restoration IMO. I'm doing a resto-mod for my daughter some day, which will be a 5 speed on a girl's 3 speed Super Stock, so that's why it doesn't have one.

Crash,
What sort of prep do these need beforehand ? or is the price quote inclusive of stripping as well ?
(ps: got your PM, have to get with you again, sorry for the major delays, lol ).
Also, what type of chrome job are they doing on these, if you know ? flash chrome like original, vacuplate or spray opn ( like spectrachrome ), or ?

Al,

I wouold prep them as much as possible. I haven't done it before, and the owner told me just strip it of decals and he'd take care of the rest, but I'm going to be giving him a lot of parts, and I'd rather him concentrate on the chrome itself. So I would recommend stripping the decals and smoothing them out if needed with some sanding. One of mine is really rough, so I'm going to sand it.

And I believe it's a Spectrachrome system. The only one in the western U.S. I called a place on the east coast, and for 3 parts he wanted $700. Crazy.

Bruce also did the amf aerobee decals about five years ago from pics I sent him, they are as good as the original, he is most likely the best out there!

I've got a couple of Huffy consoles that have good decals, but the chrome is garbage. I have a place in town that can chrome them, but what do I do about the decals? Well, I worked with Bruce Crawford and he's recreated the decal set for the Huffy consoles!

4E1FSH.jpg

I also had him create the decal for my Sears console. Mine is in gold, but he can do them in blue and purple as well.

OBGvNX.jpg

BAM! The last touch on my Spyder restoration!

p4R0zp.jpg

Lastly, I asked him to recreated the Huffy 24" head badge. He also did one for the 20" bikes as well. I'm going to put this decal over the head badge I have so it still looks like a head badge, and will look good!

6e17Kn.jpg

The initial work costs a bit, but I took that for the team. If you need any of these, talk to Bruce. If you need a console rechromed, talked to me. We can work out a deal to make your parts part of a bigger order which will spread around the cost.
Are you still in touch with this guy? I need a Purple 5sp decal like your gold one for my 24" 1969 Spyder

FZ

Latest posts

Back