Shelby No Holes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Last week I picked up this ugly 30's Shelby wishbone frame. This particular frame has no holes in the headtube for a badge. This is a tell tale sign that it was a Supreme with the big wrap around tank. The frame has two issues and since I dont have the skills to fix them properly, I decided that I will not be addressing at all. And since finding a tank is next to impossible, a restoration would be cost prohibitive.

So what is the plan?

MAKE A RAT!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be trying to keep it as Shelby as possible but its going to be a hot mess. Trying to use what I have laying around in order to keep the costs minimal. Hoping to get it together quickly as we have a ride next month I would like to take it on.

What's wrong with the frame?
The lower top tube has been very poorly welded at the seat post. Additionally that same tube has a dent in it. Couldnt get the dent to show up in a pic but the bubblegum and bird poop did.

Just for reference, here is a pic of what this frame looked like when it was purchased new.
592adb499bc5a0d96f8bd4bc1ffd3b41.jpg

Going to use these deep fenders and rack from a later model Shelby. The fork is temporary while I tread and cut down a more appropriate one.
received_10208605412627564.jpeg

Sweetness !!, I'll be watching along your builds are really nice :cool2:

The rear wheel is going to need to be extremely honest but I think I can make it work. The even bigger chalange will be getting the tire centered under the fender. With any luck the chain will fit perfectly when I have the wheel where I want it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Looks good :cool2:

I parted out a lady's Huffman with a broken frame a while back and since most people cant tell the difference between a Huffman and a Shelby fork I am going to use it. I will have to have the treads chased and the tube cut down but I think we have a winner.

Not sure if I will leave it green or try to match what I've got going on with the frame??? Definately going to use this guard though.

That's the same guard on my 41 Colson. This has an awesome stance so far, I never even considered putting 24 inch wheels with fat tires in a 26 inch frame looks fantastic.

The radius on the front fender looks pretty close to fitting. You can close the radius of the rear fender up a little by carefully spreading the edges of the rear fender by hand, which will also make it just that much wider. It won't take much - maybe just work your way down the fender, spreading it about an 1/8 all through the length, or at least where you want to tighten the curve up to match the tire.

I am going to try to get it as close as possible by adjusting the chain length first and then will go the Gowjobs route of messing with the stays and hopefully I can get it close. A buddy is hooking me up with this chain ring off a 41 Shelby.

Looks great!

I like the fan also.:cool:
I am pretty fond of the fan myself. My Grandmother taught French at the local High School her entire career. The fan was in her classroom for decades.

Managed to get the rear wheel pretty close. I also mocked up a Delta wedge but it needs acomplete overhaul.

I tried the bars that belonged to the same bike as the fork first...

And since I don't have a set of Elkhorn bars, I mocked up a set of Wald Wacky Bars instead. They are not even close to the same bends but they kind of have the same vibe.

I am leaning hard toward keeping the Wacky bars with a different stem.

Latest posts

Back