Shelby hot rod

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m in, I have a frame and a vision. Whether or not the bike cooperates remains to be seen. I have a couple races coming up and a big project at work so progress will be slow at first. The extra month this year will be helpful. I also have no idea if any of the parts I want to use going to play nicely together. Let’s start with the frame
IMG_4439.jpg
I got it for 35 bucks at a swap meet last year. It has a couple of odd holes in the seat stay, The guy who sold it to me thought they were rust holes but when I got it home and scraped the paint off there is no evidence of rust
IMG_4442.jpg
someone did this on purpose! I will have it brazed or welded or put a pork chop BMX sticker on it or something [emoji16] I can’t read the head badge under the paint, but my nephew took a look at it and thinks it says shelby flying cloud,
IMG_4441.jpg
that’s all for now, thanks for watching and I can’t wait to see what the rest of you guys and girls come up with

Holes may have been for a water bottle holder or maybe a beer bottle holder with such a jankie paint job [emoji481]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had these cranbrook wheels in the pile for a couple years, painted them rustoleum hammered copper for another bike then swapped the wheels, I want a hotrod look for this bike so I’m going with fat and skinny tires, 26x3 beach bum on the rear and 26x2 thick slick on the front
f5c1734a742bb9806f28f3484b061a29.jpg
its a little bit too fat for the frame, I’ve got minimal clearance on the seat stays
1cb69c0dd3aca7487544ca830344f61e.jpg
and none on the chain stays
e099238438d6a83795216d378c411934.jpg
so guess what my first job is... gonna look good when it fits though
48fbf9b35d51f202dc4ac76dcc7d5adc.jpg
stay tuned

Cool tire rake! Someone recently made a cool tool for pinching the stays a little for more clearance was it @GuitarlCarl?

I believe it was Carl, pair of vice grips with a piece of bar stock welded on? I plan to steal that idea and/or use a coil spring compressor to spread the stays. I’ve also ran into hassle #2, the seat post is happy where it is and wants to stay.
aac6eb5d378d978a3892ba4aa2c6536a.jpg
I’m gonna give it some quiet time with a bit of PB blaster, if that doesn’t work I’m not worried about the paint so I’ll try some fire [emoji91]

I believe it was Carl, pair of vice grips with a piece of bar stock welded on? I plan to steal that idea and/or use a coil spring compressor to spread the stays. I’ve also ran into hassle #2, the seat post is happy where it is and wants to stay.
I’m gonna give it some quiet time with a bit of PB blaster, if that doesn’t work I’m not worried about the paint so I’ll try some fire [emoji91]
I have the same issue with my donor bike , but I rely want the lucky seven seat post for Blu - Gal . Need a bigger hammer and some heat ?

I’ve had a similar issue. I plugged the hole I the seat post end turned the frame upside down and pumped WD-40 into the seat tube through the bottom bracket and then Coca Cola. After sitting for a couple days I was able to get it to move and out.

I’ve had a similar issue. I plugged the hole I the seat post end turned the frame upside down and pumped WD-40 into the seat tube through the bottom bracket and then Coca Cola. After sitting for a couple days I was able to get it to move and out.

MazdaFlyer is mixing his drinks again. WD-40 and Coke. On ice, or room temp?

Idiotboy, you've got another good one going here! Your 'hot rod' ideas are def in the mix. I've always liked your style on previous builds. Looks like I'll be adding another one to my list!

RaT oN~!

After letting it sit all night soaking I put the seat post in the vice, twisted the frame a bit, then switched to vice grips and got the post out
780cb7c445a3ba24675fa1927619f567.jpg
the bearing cups, fender bolts and chain adjuster bolts came out next
cf3ede9daed3cf2db16100608657a752.jpg
now I’ve got a bare frame that needs a repair and a bit of modification . I can start figuring out what’s gonna fit nicely and what’s gonna put up a fight, let the fun begin!

Attachments

• IMG_4457.jpg
    IMG_4457.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Hey Schultz, what's up with your build these days?
"We see NOTHING!" :21:

I know you said you'd be busy early on. Looking forward to your next steps!

Latest posts

Back