Shelby hot rod

Discussion in 'BUILD OFF 14 - CLASS 1 - BUILD JOURNALS' started by idiotboy, May 2, 2019.

1. idiotboy

idiotboy

Finally got to a point where I can do more, I have always liked the look of the monarch springer but every time I’ve seen one for sale it’s been out of my budget, missing parts or someone else was quicker. I took a gamble on a Chicom one from amazon [​IMG] with no idea what bike I was gonna put it on and threw it on a shelf. The quality looks good, but when I went to install it on this bike it did not want to cooperate. Steer tube length is workable but nothing in the Big Bag of headset parts fit the crown race [​IMG] also the drop outs are for a 5/16” axle when most modern stuff including the cranbrook wheel I want to use is 3/8”. On top of that it’s spaced for an OLD of 112mm when every hub I own is 100mm or less [​IMG] so after a bit of research and an order to porkchop BMX I have a headset that will work, a 3/8 axle with flats and some extra lock nuts to space the hub. That package just showed up yesterday so hopefully this week I can get the fork and front wheel on, then a trip to the Wethersfield swap meet Sunday to search for a stem and pedals and who knows what else.... thanks for your patience

2. OddJob

OddJob

You are doing it the right way.

Ja volt!

3. idiotboy

idiotboy

Made a small bit of progress on this, went to the cellar last night to start modifying the frame to fit the tire, mounted the crank I’m gonna use and the chain so I could figure out where the wheel was gonna sit, marked it, looked at it, thought about it, looked at it some more, and I don’t know why but for some reason it bugs me to have tread on the back tire and a slick on the front. I want the white letters for the “look” I’m going for and I realized I want a fender on there too so I took the easy way out and ordered another thick slick for the rear. I have them on another bike and they ride nice I also decided on a paint scheme, sorry Odd job but this one’s gonna be shiny

4. The Renaissance Man

The Renaissance Man __CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster) Pro Member

That makes at least two of us.
    Maybe there will be an 'EvenJob Award' for shiny.:21:

5. OddJob

OddJob

You guys have given me an idea. And I've got nearly 3 months to complete it.
    And every body thought I would be sitting around twiddling my thumbs! :21:

6. idiotboy

idiotboy

I still haven’t found the pedals I want yet , but I got this stem at the swap meet last weekend [​IMG] for ten bucks, also this fork for a future project [​IMG] it was too nice out to work inside today so I took my first build off bike (BO9) for a ride instead [​IMG] seemed like a better use of my time

7. The Renaissance Man

The Renaissance Man __CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster) Pro Member

Wow! That's one of my all time favorite forks!
    $10? I'd pay that all day!!!

idiotboy likes this.
  8. BobbyP413

BobbyP413

At least you took those forks home so I didn't have to lol

idiotboy likes this.
  9. idiotboy

idiotboy

10 bucks for the stem, the forks were a bit more...

10. kingfish254

kingfish254 CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF! Pro Member

I love those Shelby frames. The fatties look great on it too.

idiotboy likes this.
  11. OddJob

OddJob

Hey Schultz, what's up with the latest on the Shelby HR?

idiotboy likes this.
  12. GuitarlCarl

GuitarlCarl

FYI the next time you go to use that Monark fork. You can flip the rockers to the inside to use a smaller hub.

Carl.

idiotboy likes this.
  13. idiotboy

idiotboy

Well, I could say I’ve been working overtime in the hot sun and I’m tired when I get home, I’ve raced the dirt bike 4 times with the maintenance and repair that entails, including a weeknight rebuild of the motor in my nephews bike, and had to spend a Saturday fixing a broken water pipe to the furnace, but the truth is I’m a terrible procrastinator and the extra month is hindering my progress because in my mind I have way more time than I really do. I do have all the parts except pedals and the couple things I’m going to make, and I have a color scheme picked out. I won’t even get into the story of it taking a month and 3 vendors to find a thick slick...