Seat Post sizing - '35 Hawthorne

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I get a few different measurements as the tube heads down - but was there a standard size for these frames?

I have it somewhere between 3/4" and 1"

index.php

I get a few different measurements as the tube heads down - but was there a standard size for these frames?

index.php
All my 30 - 40s Hawthornes take 5/8 round stock. I have one old bike that has a 3/4 rod. It could also be 13/16 as one of my 30s bikes had that. I would get some various size stock to see what fits. It comes in handy co figuring this out. The hardware store hot rolled rods bend easily so I use either cold rolled or 2024 aluminum.

Last edited:
I have some double bar drop frames; I prefer shim-less posts that neck down and bend to the 5/8" for the seat clamp. My Westfield has 13/16". My Colsons have 3/4". Another unknown (Schwinn, Mead?) has a 3/4" post with very-thin (Wald-like) shim and looks like the seat tube may have been over tightened at one time; that one may need work.
I have some later 1940's Snyders, and they have 27/32" (same as 1/2"-IPS pipe O.D.); very odd yet still available. I don't have any bikes (or tricycles) in my limited collection that would take a 5/8" post without a thicker ~1/16" all-around shim.
as the tube heads down
I believe the clamp area on some old bikes does not progress all the way down the tube.
I have an old Lonn Patent GWM Crown post made from stamped sheet/bar, rolled and welded at a seam; it measures 0.7 to 0.75 depending on where it is measured.

Maybe measure the outside diameter (where measurements become reliable) and then subtract twice the thickness of the tube walls, if you can get good measures on that too?

I am using the same frame in a bike in the "builds"s section. My post measures a weird size:13/16th. These frames were hand made, hand-brazed, and the junction where the seat post inserts is sometimes not smoothed enough on the interior. You may need to ream it a bit then try a 13/16". Too bad about that rapaired down tube.:(

Latest posts

Back