Sears Spyder Rat: RIP (see Chimera Chopper)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: "Quickie" Sears Spyder Rat Build

This is pretty cool!
but, in my opinion, (take it for what it's worth), i think you should go with a smaller front tire. (skinnier).
the fat front tire kind of looks out of place to me. i think it makes it look like one of those 2 wheel drive off road minibikes (recon?)
when i read that you painted the wheels i cringed (thinking that you painted them red to try and get a rat rod look) and then was pleasantly surprised that you went with copper.

I would possibly go with a skinnier tire if it was like a 24" wheel, but, I'm really not into the smaller (diameter) front tire look.
Anyway...I was going to paint the crank and sprocket, but, after a few minutes with the wire wheel, they came back too nice to paint. So, here's a crappy pic with the crank back on. I have the old chain soaking overnight to clean it up.
IMG-20120220-00307jpg.jpg

Also, I polished up the original chain guard that I'll position when I get the chain on :)

IronDio said:
I would possibly go with a skinnier tire if it was like a 24" wheel, but, I'm really not into the smaller (diameter) front tire look.
Anyway...I was going to paint the crank and sprocket, but, after a few minutes with the wire wheel, they came back too nice to paint. So, here's a crappy pic with the crank back on. I have the old chain soaking overnight to clean it up.
IMG-20120220-00307jpg.jpg

Also, I polished up the original chain guard that I'll position when I get the chain on :)

you mean like this?
this is a bike i recently finished and it has a 24" x 3" rear wheel with a 3" wide slick on it. The front wheel is a 700 C off of a road bike with a very skinny, very low profile front tire.
gold1.jpg

pedal scraper said:
you mean like this?
this is a bike i recently finished and it has a 24" x 3" rear wheel with a 3" wide slick on it. The front wheel is a 700 C off of a road bike with a very skinny, very low profile front tire.
gold1.jpg
Now that's extreme! Very cool!
Part of my goal was a VERY low cost build, and I don't have much for spare parts at this time, so I used both tires off of the parts bike that I had available. I really like the vintage motorcycle look that I ended up with and that was what I was kind of going for. That's what is so cool about this hobby, there's a million different ways to do this bike with the same parts. Can't wait to see what you do to yours!!

99% assembled. Waiting on my battery, and I might add a taillight depending on how well that works. The chain is SUPER tight with the fixed rear wheel, I may have to get a half-link to get a little more slack.
IMG-20120221-00310jpg.jpg

Unfortunately, we had a snow storm and the roads are VERY slick, so, I'll have to wait to test ride it to see what needs to be tweaked :(

Re: Sears Spyder Rat Build with Finished (for now) Pics!

I am surprised that the bike isn't making the snow melt!!! :!: :!: 8) :shock:

Really Nice Job! Cool layout and stance! Great pics too.
Saw you guys up there are going to get pounded with snow this week.
Down here, we're set to get ~12" Tuesday. No slicks for a while :lol:

Thanks for the great feedback!!
As much as I would like to keep this one, my original goal was to build something to sell to get some extra money for my other projects...so, it's up on craigslist. I honestly have no idea what to charge for something like this so I just put what I thought was fair.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/bik/2895182313.html

Good luck with the sale.
You should really edit your CL ad so that at the bottom it has the embedded html images from your Photobucket.
This way the buyers see high res photos instead of little CL thumbnails.
I will PM you with an example of mine.

Cool bike! :D Nice colors and FAT tires! :mrgreen:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Cool bike! :D Nice colors and FAT tires! :mrgreen:
Thanks SCHWINNRAY69! It really ended up looking cool. I hope it sells before I ride it too much, or I might just keep it around. lol

Latest posts

Back