Sears Spyder Rat: RIP (see Chimera Chopper)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, traded some truck parts for a couple of bikes. Got this Sears Spyder out of the deal...
IMG-20120206-00271.jpg

I also got a Rage Empire bike with decent Kenda Flame tires.
The flames were a bit big for the bike, so, I robbed the triple tree fork and used some coaster brake arms to move the rear tire back and up a bit...

IMG-20120206-00275.jpg

...only one bolt in there for now, but we're just mocking this up. Swapped the fork and put the apes on the new fork.
IMG-20120206-00273.jpg

IMG-20120206-00274.jpg

Not bad for an hour of work if I do say so myself! (glad I soaked it down with penetrating oil when I got it home!)
Going to do something with the seat next and strip those ridiculous decals off the fork next

Re: Quickie Spyder "Rat" Build

Nice start! Get ta buildin'!! Peace

Spent another hour on it tonight. Got the rear axle extenders drilled to be permanently mounted, got the fork into position, and played with the seat position. I wanted to get it further back and LOW...
IMG-20120207-00276.jpg

I like the position a lot. It kind of flows with the frame. I drilled out the mount for the seat and moved it forward a couple of inches, then I pulled out the seat post and mounted the seat right to the clamp. Now, I just have to shorten the sissy bar and drill new holes to mount it to (or near) the rear axle...I might turn the clamp around to move it back a little more even, now that I look at it again :)

I am digging this build.
MO FATTA MO BETTA!!!!!!!

Doing this bike hour-by-hour, an hour here, an hour there...So, in last night's episode, I wire wheeled the sissy bar, cut it to length, and drilled the new holes. Then I wire wheeled the banana seat, and glued foam to the pan. In tonight's episode, I finished covering the seat, mounted the shortened sissy bar, and mounted the kickstand off the Rage.
IMG-20120209-00279.jpg

IMG-20120209-00280.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the seat! It was my first try at upholstery work, and I think it looks pretty cool. Used a leather jacket a guy gave me at work.
So, I'm pretty much done with mocking it up. I was looking at the paint, and it's pretty bumpy, and since this is a rat, I'm thinking it might look pretty cool with a cast iron finish. Still gotta work on getting those decals off the fork...

Spent some more time on it last night. I scrubbed it down and painted it cast iron grey. I'm really liking the color! Just have to grease the crank bearings and mount the rear fender now. Going to try some decal stripper on the forks...those things are really on there :(
IMG-20120210-00281.jpg

Looks great! :D The fat tires and silver paint make this bike 8)

Mounted a rear fender and added a reflector to that. Fully inflated the tires, now I have a rub issue on the seat stays, so I'm going to have to tear it down and spread it a little for clearance.
IMG-20120213-00284.jpg

IMG-20120213-00285.jpg

Thinking it needs a headlight now ;)

Here's a side shot of the bike with the headlight.
IMG-20120216-00291.jpg

Found a small LiPo battery pack on ebay I'm going to experiment with for a power source. If their specs are correct, I should be able to run the light for 2.5hrs on a charge...but we'll just have to see. It's on the slow boat from Hong Kong, so, now we wait :(

Thanks!
I'm going for more of a vintage look. the light was next to nothing, but it's an all glass sealed beam bulb in the housing. I didn't try separating the lens from the back, but I'll consider looking further into a conversion if this battery pack doesn't work out. It's rechargeable and cheap.

Finally pulled the back wheel off to spread the frame for clearance yesterday. While I had it off, I decided to finally turn the tire around so the treads were going the right direction. While I had the tire off, I looked at the wheel, and decided it needed to be repainted. So, I pulled both tires off and sprayed the rims. Then, I looked at the fork, the lower part of the tubes are pretty pitted up, so, I painted them. Then, I painted the extensions for the rear wheel, the sissy bar, and I'll do the crank and sprocket tonight. This project is taking a new direction on me!

Re: "Quickie" Sears Spyder Rat Build

Didn't get to the crank and sprocket tonight. But, here's how it sits now...not happy that it's in pieces again, but its got some shiny shoes! lol
IMG-20120218-00297.jpg

IMG-20120218-00299.jpg

IMG-20120218-00298.jpg

Rustoleum Hammered Black on the forks and Hammered Copper on the wheels. Love that paint!!!

Latest posts

Back