BO15 Scrapyard Mule

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 6

01_frontDropouts.jpg

02_frontDropoutTopExtension.jpg

03_clampTapedForWeld.jpg

04_forkLegsLowerTrim.jpg

05_forkLegsLowerTrim.jpg

06_barTops.jpg

07_barCenterTubeTestFit.jpg

08_barCenterTubeTestFit.jpg

09_barCenterTubeTestFit.jpg

10_centerBarTemplateRearRackFender.jpg

11_centerBar.jpg

12_centerBarTrimmed.jpg

That is absolutely gorgeous! I love your designs and fabrication skills. You certainly have a great eye for making all that tubing "flow", for example the way your top tube lines up with the upper support of the forks. It's pure genius.

Do you do fabrication work for a living?

That is absolutely gorgeous! I love your designs and fabrication skills. You certainly have a great eye for making all that tubing "flow", for example the way your top tube lines up with the upper support of the forks. It's pure genius.

I second Psychographic's comments. I wish I had 1/2 your fabrication skills!

Thanks. I think it's an artifact of OCD and the fear that I'm going to forget how I did something.
i legit find myself looking for tools I misplaced in my build thread instead of on the ground

I thought the bars were cool before you added those extensions! Now they're that much cooler! And I can't believe how fast you move.

Thank you very much. Worked as a graphic designer and web developer. Way back before computers I created concept illustrations for engineering proposals. Did a fair share of exploded views for machine assemblies too. Metal work is a hobby but, I've been doing it for a while. Just over twelve years. Got my start building various contraptions for a little thing called burning man.

burningmanStuff.jpg

I thought the bars were cool before you added those extensions! Now they're that much cooler! And I can't believe how fast you move.

Very unusual for me to be working this fast. I've got limited time and luckily things are falling into place easily.

Thank you very much. Worked as a graphic designer and web developer. Way back before computers I created concept illustrations for engineering proposals. Did a fair share of exploded views for machine assemblies too. Metal work is a hobby but, I've been doing it for a while. Just over twelve years. Got my start building various contraptions for a little thing called burning man.

View attachment 130567
Wait........are those your builds pictured?

Mind blown.........

Wait........are those your builds pictured?

Mind blown.........

Yup, thanks. The elephant and the one pictured at the bottom had flame effects too. Flame effect... think a controlled ball of exploding propane on top of a sixteen foot pipe above the center of the bottom bike or, coming out of the elephant's trunk. Thrilled kids, scared neighbors. Fun times.

Day 7 plus 1

So, I did it! Built a bike that is completely unrideable. This thing has more flop than a salmon stuck on a sandbar on his way up stream to spawn. Actually... it's a huge success because it prevented me from going too far down a design path or creating a more involved build that was not going to work. I have an idea for moving the front wheel back to test increasing the trail and hopefully making it more rideable. It is a test mule after all. Need a Day 7 plus 2.

01_chain.jpg

02_clearance.jpg

03_forkFrontWheelAdd.jpg

04_brakes.jpg

05_assemblyComplete.jpg

06_unridableBikeInSun.jpg

Do you wear braces on your arms so your elbows don't bend when you ride that? :21:
I see it as kind of like water skiing, you lean, and use your hips for weight transfer, but you don't ever pull your elbows into your sides or you're toast!

That last photo though, is got so much cool factor going on~!

So many cool details on this in so quick a timeframe. You started with a pile of crap (no offense) and turned it into stylish gold!!!!

Do you wear braces on your arms so your elbows don't bend when you ride that? :21:
I see it as kind of like water skiing, you lean, and use your hips for weight transfer, but you don't ever pull your elbows into your sides or you're toast!

That last photo though, is got so much cool factor going on~!

As it sits there... braces, shoulder pads, knee pads, leather gloves and a full face helmet!

So many cool details on this in so quick a timeframe. You started with a pile of crap (no offense) and turned it into stylish gold!!!!

Thank you, Yeah, that was quite a pile. Using that suspended rear was a real time saver. I knew the rear triangle and down tube were completely aligned and straight. Just built up everything else off of that.

Latest posts

Back