BO15 Scrapyard Mule

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 7 plus 2

Time to ugly this up. I threw some big old front dropouts on to allow testing different trail lengths. I ended up moving the front tire back about six and a half inches from the original trail of 2 and a quarter. The further I moved it back the more stable it got... stability being relative.

01_forkMods.jpg

02_frontMods.jpg

03_frontMods.jpg

04_frontMods.jpg

06_additionalTrail.jpg

07_rearQTR.jpg

08_side.jpg

09_frntQTR.jpg

It is rideable but has a bit of a mind of its own. Tends to strike out to the left or right without much notice. I'll have to work at getting a video uploaded eventually but here's a video still in the meantime.

ridePict.jpg

The wheelbase ended up shortened quite a bit in the effort to improve handling. Not the design proportions I'd hoped to establish for a later build. And, the shortened version is still too much of a hand full to ride. Its the kinda bike you'd only lend to someone you don't like very much and, that you'd never ride yourself.
01_wheelbaseCompare.jpg

This was a fun seven plus days but unfortunately my time has run out for further modifications during this build-off. I still would like to see if I can determine a rake angle and trail that will create a reasonable ride, keep the head tube close to this low, and push the front wheel out further like in the first image in the comparison above. It would make for some interesting design options. I have a few thoughts on making the head tube and front wheel mount positions adjustable to try to find that sweet spot (if there is one). Maybe I can get to them in a couple months.

I know it may not be the most rideable bike, but dang, does does thing look cool! I agree with OddJob. That one shot just gives such an animated vibe. I think what you got done in the short amount of time you had looks fantastic!

What a fun and wild whirlwind build! Rideability is all relative. I am sure it is still easier to control than a swing bike. :D
GREAT BUILD!!!!

Honestly this is my personal favorite. You just like throw a bunch of stuff in a pile, mocks it up on top of bricks and car jackstands and whatever and are riding video it all shiney in like three days or something. Plus it just so "The Girl from Ipanema" to me. I mean the Gilberto and Getz version

Latest posts

Back