Scooter build finished.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fv2

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I found myself at a standstill on my latest bike build, so I was digging through parts and found this little tank.
20171205_151044.jpg

It reminded me of the scooter KOTA built in the last build off. I don't know why, but it did.

Well, I also have a bunch of steel left over from an industrial ladder I cut up. So I got to bending.
20171205_151153.jpg

Well, I've come to a conclusion.
This thing has to long a wheel base. I'll need to do more work.

It might be a few weeks though, my wife just had successful surgery to remove a potentially cancerous tumor today and is cancer free.
I blew my knee out a couple weeks ago, and will have to have it surgically repaired. But not til my wife is back on her feet.

So the plan is to raise the front up about an inch and a half, and to shorten the deck area to about 15 inches. That should get rid of any flex.

Thanks for following along, and stay tuned.

Just checking in...Wishing you and your wife well...( I have Steve Austin knees, titanium).

Thanks for the well wishes guys.
Wife is doing well, she's able to get out of the house and started driving again today. So that's all good.

My knee won't require full surgery, just a scope to trim the torn meniscus. I'll only be down a couple days.

I'm actually hoping to work on this a bit tomorrow before work, and maybe a bit on Christmas day. With a little luck it'll be ready for paint after I get my knee fixed.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Good looking curves.

Perhaps a couple rounded 1/4" thick gussets in the center of the long curves might help with flex a little. Or a second parallel tube would be cool., and could also firm her up...

Building..... Riding.....

Good looking curves.

Perhaps a couple rounded 1/4" thick gussets in the center of the long curves might help with flex a little. Or a second parallel tube would be cool., and could also firm her up...

Building..... Riding.....
I was thinking about adding two more tubes from the down tube, curving along and back to the rear fork.
It might stiffen it up a bit, and add more to the design.

Finally got time to work on this.

I cut 1.5 inches out of the down tube to raise the deck area.
20171227_120454.jpg

20171227_132242.jpg

Then I shortened the deck tube 5 inches.
20171227_132248.jpg

Still need to slug weld it back together, then see how much flex is left before I replace the upper tube.

Everything welded back together, and new upper tube in place. And there's still to much flex to ride.
20171227_160931.jpg

The scoot you posted is a "Sidewalker City" (Germany). You'll notice the pressure and weight displacement is spread out over THREE places, by the TWO downtubes. The lower downtube is attached to the two outside rails on the footboard. The upper downtube is attached to the center rail of the footboard....This makes it more rigid, and the least amount of flex....I really dislike posting pics in someone else's build, but this is how I spread the pressure out on mine.

IMG_2714.jpg

The scoot you posted is a "Sidewalker City" (Germany). You'll notice the pressure and weight displacement is spread out over THREE places, by the TWO downtubes. The lower downtube is attached to the two outside rails on the footboard. The upper downtube is attached to the center rail of the footboard....This makes it more rigid, and the least amount of flex....I really dislike posting pics in someone else's build, but this is how I spread the pressure out on mine.

View attachment 68585
I appreciate the pic,I've looked over your build and web images.
I hope to figure it out tomorrow.

Today went nothing like I had planned. Kept having issues with my welder not wanting to feed wire, I think it's because of the cold.

But I did manage to get a few gorilla welds down on some new tubes.
20180103_161006.jpg

20180103_161014.jpg

Those got rid of the flex, so that makes me happy.

Also put on some bars and tires for the maiden voyage.
20180103_162625.jpg

That went well, except my foot kept sliding on the tubing because of the snow.

I've been thinking about using some diamond plate for a deck, but not sure yet.

So that's where it is today, I have to work the next 8 days til I have knee surgery on the 12th. So there probably won't be a lot of updates for a couple weeks. But I can see the finish line on this one.

Latest posts

Back