Science Shorty

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
For my tenth scratch built frame, I thought I'd experiment. I thought I'd make a frame to try a few things, but the frame was also something new, I wanted to try to make one of my frames with no stretch, to see how comfortable it is, and if it looks good. So, I finished the frame today, and while it does look a bit stubby to me, you'll have to tell me how it looks. It measures the same as a modern cruiser axle to axle (about 44"), but the forward BB position and laid back seat position should still give it a nice stretch feeling. It'll take a little while to get it rolling, because I plan on making the handlebars and forks, as well. It's something to play with in between customer bikes, which I am busy with.

Well, I can't start on one of my customer bikes yet, so I had more time to work on this bike today than I thought I would. I took the top of a triple tree, which I got at a swap meet, and started putting parts on.

Some of the parts include a rear wheel with a Bendix 2 speed kick back that hasn't been right for any particular project, and the 4 inch tires that I picked up last year. I've had them for a year with no home, so I thought I'd give them a try on this.

Then I welded on some front drops, and fooled around with the idea of continuing the forks up as the handlebars, which I don't think I'll do.

Great frame!!!!
What happened to Avocado?

My son wanted to help me build some cool bars for this one, so we came up with plan, and built them. we used 7/8" bar for the top and bottom, where the stem grips, but we slid that inside some 1" for the rest of the bars, to make it look beefier, and meaner. Then I threw on some cranks and chain, to test it out. It rides nice, overall, but the chain rubs a bit, so I've got a dished out chainring that I'll swap out on it.

Sweet work on the bars!!

Latest posts

Back