Science #3

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Having built two frames, essentially the same (there were a few minor differences), one that I ride, and the other that I traded, I decided to make my third frame, this one to sell.

This one will have a major change in the top tube. I wanted it to curve up and forward before going back, giving it a dangerous looking spike in the front (facing forward, not back at the rider). After dragging my feet on it for a while, I hit it hard today, almost completing the frame.

Here are a few pics of the progress:
IMG_1107_zpsf732ecbf.jpg

IMG_1108_zps1b51ec9d.jpg

IMG_1109_zps7d193b9b.jpg

I'm not sure I like how the top tube came out. It's not as spikey as I imagined it. Here is how it is now:
IMG_1110_zpsb10885c5.jpg

IMG_1111_zps5bfb4a75.jpg

It came out much taller than I'd pictured it. On the other hand, maybe others would like it, as it looks more chopper-ish than my normal style.

My plan is to leave it for now, and complete the bike. I'm thinking I can always chop it at the top, and re-work it later if I don't like it. The other thing is, sometimes a customer may like it, even if I don't. Can I get some feedback from you guys?

When you try wild designs then you come up with outside the box builds. :lol:
One thing about it since its metal you can always change it.
I would almost flip the tight curve down and then use the big curve from there up
to the seatpost...If that makes any sense.

An update! I got to work in the garage today, and I basically finished the bike. I welded on the BB and the seat tube, and here is the frame finished:
IMG_1150_zpsf0720b24.jpg

IMG_1151_zpsccb64088.jpg

I got a girl's Huffy Cranbrook for free from a friend, and so it became the donor for all of the parts, and I put the bike together.
IMG_1156_zps0b88ee28.jpg

IMG_1153_zps0648033d.jpg

IMG_1154_zpsa55753dc.jpg

IMG_1155_zps54c2926f.jpg

I think I'll be placing this on CL, and seeing if I can sell it without painting it. I have so little in this financially, that I can sell it for pretty cheap, and still make a few bucks.

What do you guys think? Is the top too much? What do you think?

I think, it's killer. But......yes I say "but", I think that the cruiserbar clashes with this great neck. It looks a bit as if the both of them are fighting who stands out the most.
This bike could do with a bar that is lower,maybe even with a sharper design. Or if you put on a lower stem,that could be enough to lower the bar.
Would be nice to see it run "through" the frame, if you turn it sharply. :mrgreen:

Anyhow, I think it's a great bike that deserves to be finished into an awesome ride and the neck has great potential (to mount the headlamp,turn it into birds-head,do something with LED's. The sky 's the limit.

I think its pretty cool. Definatly something different. I really like how the front follows the lines of your front wheel.

If I were to make any suggestions I would have added a seat post that follows the lines of the rear wheel, and I might have done something different with the rear. You have some really cool curves going on and then the rear just kind of goes straight into an arrow point. But that might be what you were going for.

I think its sweet the way it is though, and look forward to seeing what else you come up with in the future

ksshane said:
I think its pretty cool. Definatly something different. I really like how the front follows the lines of your front wheel.

If I were to make any suggestions I would have added a seat post that follows the lines of the rear wheel, and I might have done something different with the rear. You have some really cool curves going on and then the rear just kind of goes straight into an arrow point. But that might be what you were going for.

I think its sweet the way it is though, and look forward to seeing what else you come up with in the future

Thanks. I think maybe the pointed rear doesn't flow as well with this particular frame, because it's very curvy, but if you take a look at my other Science frame builds, such as Science #1, I think it works.

Latest posts

Back