Schwummit strandie

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a quick update, had to replace the non-drive crank arm, so the pedals are safe....for now.

I did raise the seat a bit for better extension and swapped the BMX bars for theses cruisers. While I liked the height of the BMX ones, they didn’t have enough pullback and my hands would go numb on longer rides.
Got these new ones from @kingfish254. Much better on the hands.
Next up? Maybe a Brooks B66 or B67 or some wider alloy rims?
Anyway, here’s today’s glamour shot
7cd549ea29b45e8100c71407e9a4a91f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got it from @ind-chuckz
Was really affordable and since it was originally an ‘industrial’ bike, it’s well built (to limit workplace lawsuits).
But it’s CONSIDERABLY lighter than my 40s and 50s frames

Hit him up for one!

Got it from @ind-chuckz
Was really affordable and since it was originally an ‘industrial’ bike, it’s well built (to limit workplace lawsuits).
But it’s CONSIDERABLY lighter than my 40s and 50s frames

Hit him up for one!

I've got some if any interest.

Just a quick update, had to replace the non-drive crank arm, so the pedals are safe....for now.

I did raise the seat a bit for better extension and swapped the BMX bars for theses cruisers. While I liked the height of the BMX ones, they didn’t have enough pullback and my hands would go numb on longer rides.

Blue my favorite color too!

Upgrade decision made!
Bought a new ‘Felt-like’ wheelset tonight.
Gonna need to do a little ‘work’ on them, stay tuned for another update......once they get here...

Oh there's interest. I just need to clear the slate of a few other projects before I start another one. The demise of the RockRat set me back a bit.

Lookin good Doc.
Heres on I transformed in 2012
Sure miss that bike

downsize-1.jpg

downsize2.jpg

Quick update, the new wheels are disassembled, waiting for warmer weather to strip/polish them. Got the hubs from @kingfish254, a SRAM Automatrix coaster for the rear and a vintage high flange Shimano 333 for the front.
BUT...until then, I finally bought my first brand new Brooks (B67 because of my ‘modern’ seatpost hardware). Love it so far, it’s slowly breaking in, as the weather warms, it will get even more comfortable.
Here’s the day I installed it, I have since removed the ‘hanging heart’ tail light....
b7e39579f971b3aabb8a968305725170.jpg

Hanging heart? Looks like a sack of balls. 2 balls, to be precise. In a sack. A ball sack.

I ain't judging. I'm actually looking around at work for the biggest pair of nuts I can find for the upcoming unofficial March build thing. No sack, but they'll be under the seat.

PS the Heavy Duty looks rad in blue. More exclusive than the yellow

Quick update, the new wheels are disassembled, waiting for warmer weather to strip/polish them. Got the hubs from @kingfish254, a SRAM Automatrix coaster for the rear and a vintage high flange Shimano 333 for the front.
BUT...until then, I finally bought my first brand new Brooks (B67 because of my ‘modern’ seatpost hardware). Love it so far, it’s slowly breaking in, as the weather warms, it will get even more comfortable.
Here’s the day I installed it, I have since removed the ‘hanging heart’ tail light....
b7e39579f971b3aabb8a968305725170.jpg

I love the SRAM Automatrix but I found that it shifted out of 1st way too soon. There’s a mod out there where you can have it shift a little later. I did it and made a big difference, fairly easy to do as well.

I love the SRAM Automatrix but I found that it shifted out of 1st way too soon. There’s a mod out there where you can have it shift a little later. I did it and made a big difference, fairly easy to do as well.

Here’s a recent updated video with RPM chart. Perfectly explains the issue and fix.

I'm hoping to get another one of those hubs on my next bike.

In the past, I didn't mod the hub, I changed the chainwheel out with one with less teeth, lowering my gear ratio and increasing my pedaling rpm to get a shift point that worked better for me, and making the bike easier to pedal but not as fast in high gear. The cog can be changed out to change the ratio also.
15129569_10154722622756737_587311865125982982_o - Copy.jpg

On a 20" wheel, it shifts at the right point, the wheel size provides a good shift point.

17674_5929ddb31f2bfef53d20356b3a4d3134.jpg

It should work great on your bike.

Here’s a recent updated video with RPM chart. Perfectly explains the issue and fix.

I had heard that, thanks for the link to the video, just in case. Appreciate it bud.

Well, haven’t had the new wheelset built yet, that doesn’t stop me from tinkering with my daily rider (riding it around 40-50 miles a week).

I removed the chain tensioner (actually it removed itself when it exploded, causing my rear sprocket to pop off). I also noticed the whole hub became loose.

I guess a coaster brake needs the ‘tension’ from the chain...dunno.
Anyway, it’s gone, hub tightened, went up one tooth (18 to 19) to take up the slack in the chain.

To avoid the heat, I’ve been riding at/before dawn, so I needed a good taillight.
Got the XLITE 100, tail/brake light.
It’s motion sensitive and senses a change in speed to activate the ‘brakes’ then after a few seconds it returns to regular taillight brightness. Pretty slick unit. Mounts to the seat rails (or tube depending on which model you choose). Has three modes solid, flashing and strobe and can be turned on manually or set to automatic. Has an advertised range of 200m of visibility, based on how bright it is, I can easily see it having that range. Anyway, here’s a couple of pics and video of it in flash mode (what I’m starting with)
439cdf6ec409a9972b451a45c06c15f5.jpg

dd5cce0170ba1f928ccacc77c9aa4a1a.jpg

7ccfff3a7b0d2c167082451fc732c5f6.jpg

That’s it, just riding...ya know? Gonna try to get the rims sandblasted/powercoated satin clear and laced in September.

That is a super cool light. You should test it out by strapping it to the handlebars for one ride so that you can watch how it operates.

Couple of changes to the Schwummit, one short term, the other longer.
First the longer, with my early morning rides, I needed a better headlight than the $3 silicone cheapo from the hardware store checkout. Found this 15000 lumen unit on eBay for $10. It just straps on, so easy on/off for USB battery charging. It sits nicely on the 4 bolt BMX stem. Took it on two rides so far this week, definitely makes a difference.
328433ebe260dd6266949d66c74308d8.jpg

Latest posts

Back