SCHWINNRAY69 vs CCR (Defeated) Muscle Bike Build-Off

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I challenged CCR (Jeremy) to challenge me, Nick :mrgreen: We are doing a rat (CCR) v.s. resto. (me) :wink: I will be restoring a 1965 Schwinn Sting-Ray :)
The rules are:
Paint can be rattle or professionally done
No frame changes
Start April 1st end May 20th
Winner gets bragging rights :mrgreen:

Let the games begin April 1st :D

Re: SCHWINNRAY69 v.s. CCR muscle bike build

I'll be throwing down with a Campus Green 68 Stingray, fresh from the deepest darkest depths of my storage unit along with some other rubbish I grabbed for the build.

IMG_5179.jpg

P.S. It will remain in this configuration until 4-1-11 :wink:

Re: SCHWINNRAY69 v.s. CCR muscle bike build

I will be getting pics of my frame tomorrow :wink: I like the patina on that Fastback :mrgreen:
Here's the only pic I have of it being a display :roll:
goodyeardisplay.jpg

Re: SCHWINNRAY69 v.s. CCR muscle bike buildoff

Never got to take a pic today because it snowed :shock: :shock: :x So, tomorrow :wink:

Here's my bike :mrgreen: I will be posting all my updates here and I guess CCR will too :wink:
001-3.jpg

DING DING ROUND ONE!!!!

I'm thinkin Walmart House of Color Chamelon Redish tint with an 20" front wheeler and an 18" back! Just to mess with his head! LOL! Just sayin!

Started stripping the frame :D
0012.jpg

April 3rd, 2011

A little less procrastination ... but not much less :mrgreen:

IMG_5691-1.jpg

IMG_5692-1.jpg

Got most of the "Fastback" lettering off with plain old rubbing alcohol, I think someone had started touching up the "F" with white out though. All I got for now.

April 4th, 2011

1st Mock-up, needs some changes, lots of stuff I didnt like once i slapped it together.
- don't like the bars
- don't like the fork
- needs a fatter front tire
- may ditch the fender
- sissy bar needs work
- need to find that 5 speed wheel ive misplaced.

all in all it looks like the only thing i need to get is a front tire so far ...
guess im just trying to document i actually did something :lol:

IMG_5746.jpg

UPDATE 4/6/11

Polished up some of the chrome pieces and now just waiting to get my frame blasted :wink:
Before
013.jpg

012.jpg

After
015-1.jpg

014.jpg

Before
016.jpg

017.jpg

Never took an after pic but here it is with the crank that i forgot to take a before pic of :mrgreen:
020.jpg

The only rough spot on the crank
021.jpg

Frame
022.jpg

April 6th, 2011

different bars and a shorter fork .... im beginning to wonder does that look like a 20" springer to you guys ??? i'm starting to think the other one was a 26" and now this one might be a 24" springer
... man the storage unit is dark :lol:
leaving the fender for now, but i still might ditch it and i still think it would look better with a shorter fork and a fatter tire up front...

IMG_5813.jpg

Well, did some more looking in the daylight and I think I remember giving a 20" springer away a while bike now ... oh well.
I dont mind the 24" fork so much but I still think I'd like a 20" better, to give it more of a squatty look to it ... thats right ... squatty.
I did find the wheel I was looking for though. I knew the rear driveside dropout was a little tweaked on this thing, slapped a derailer on and its apparent I have some straightening to do.

also dug these out

IMG_5868.jpg

April 8th, 2011

Digging around for a fatter front tire, found a fatter rear tire in the process too :D It BARELY fits in the chainstays so i need to make sure this thing will ride before i get too excited. Fender ditched, dont know if i miss the whitewalls right now. Contemplating some rattle can whitewalls but i have my doubts about that.

IMG_5933.jpg

IMG_5934.jpg

IMG_5935.jpg

IMG_5936.jpg

Got a name picked out too to go on the chainguard but its a secret for now 8)

Lookin' real good :shock: What size is that rear tire :?:

UPDATE 4/8/11

Dropped the frame off at sand blasting :wink: I'm gonna start cleaning up my rear Bendix wheel tomorrow :D Pics to come :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back