Schwinn vs Huffy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was walking through Wally World and I saw a Huffy Cranbrook. I know Schwinn is just a Name and no longer a Brand made in the U.S.A. So are they both made at the same plant? Picific Group? If not whitch is the better quality?

The "Schwinn" bikes seem to me to have better fit and finish, I think they are slightly larger and with more wheel clearance as well. I doubt there's much if any difference internal moving parts-wise, though I haven't had a "Huffy", and so can't say for sure.

I've owned both and as far as building a rat bike goes 90% of parts get replaced anyway so either one will work. The Schwinns normally look a little better in my opinion and have slightly better components, but Huffy makes some decent bikes as well. Also Schwinn has better re-sale value just because of the name.

For my money though I'd rather get a vintage Schwinn. Just my $0.02

I have both brand new, newish and vintage Huffies and Schwinns. For the record, it doesn't get any better than an old school Chicago built Schwinn and the old Huffies rode well with the Good Vibrations their best.

As for your question, go with the Schwinn. I just bought a Schwinn Breeze and it is very comfortable to ride, feels solid, has descent looking consistant welds and has frame geometry similar to the older Schwinns, and their Del Mar cruiser is the same as my Breeze except no truss rods, no rear carrier and a cheaper looking basic chainguard. It sounds like all those extra items just end up coming off anyways for most around here. I have also had a 05' 09' and an 10' Huffy Cranbrook and the welds were poor in penetration and consistancy (and this is a very common complaint of new Cranbrooks), poor handlebar positioning along with cramped, tight frame geometry that puts the cranks almost directly under you, instead of a little bit out in front. And when I say Cranbrook, that includes the Karaoke, Nell Lusso and Panama Jack as they are just dressed up Cranbrooks with their own flair.

As far as components that come on each bike, the Schwinn edges out again just slightly although they are very similarly equipt. Oddly enough, unlike Schwinn, Huffy doesn't offer a multi-speed (7) cruiser, where as Schwinn has the Clairmont and Point Beach. I would only get the Huffy if you are gonna replace like everything on the bike, don't mind inferior welds (and alignment sometimes) and can live with its tradgic frame geometry.

From what I have found every newer Huffy with the Cranbrook frame whether its a Good Vibration or whatever has a crooked fork from the factory and if you call them and tell them, they will send you another crooked fork to replace it. The Schwinns actually have nicer frame and forks but I have read alot that they have alot of problems with the factory coaster brake back wheel. Frames are pretty good on both.

Carbon said:
From what I have found every newer Huffy with the Cranbrook frame whether its a Good Vibration or whatever has a crooked fork from the factory and if you call them and tell them, they will send you another crooked fork to replace it. The Schwinns actually have nicer frame and forks but I have read alot that they have alot of problems with the factory coaster brake back wheel. Frames are pretty good on both.

Yeah I've got to agree, ever since Schwinn switched from Bendix to Shimano the rear hubs have sucked.

outskirtscustoms said:
Carbon said:

Yeah I've got to agree, ever since Schwinn switched from Bendix to Shimano the rear hubs have sucked.

Yeah, my 2011 Schwinn Breeze cruiser has a falcon stamped coaster brake and it was harsh when I first got it. It sounded like a death grind when applying the brake and had a hollow rattling or howling sound when coasting. Simple fix and a NECESSITY for all new "cheap' Huffy or Schwinn (Kent, Next, and any other cheap brand, too) is you MUST disasemble the coaster brake and pack it with some good grease, put it back together and let er' sing. Seems like mine likes to run with just a bit of play (tiny bit) in order to play nice with the rest of the drivetrain or it will want to "drag" or bind on the chain.

Rat Rod Beach Goer said:
I was walking through Wally World and I saw a Huffy Cranbrook. I know Schwinn is just a Name and no longer a Brand made in the U.S.A. So are they both made at the same plant? Pacific Group? If not whitch is the better quality?

First thing is Huffy is not one of the Pacific Brands http://www.pacificcycle.com/brands

Second Schwinn is hands down better especially is you buy the ones with better components at your local bike shop (LBS)..

But honestly there are too many better made used vintage frames out their to spend your money on.......

So why not find a classic frame and redo it, they have character and history, that only time creates.......

irideiam said:
Rat Rod Beach Goer said:
I was walking through Wally World and I saw a Huffy Cranbrook. I know Schwinn is just a Name and no longer a Brand made in the U.S.A. So are they both made at the same plant? Pacific Group? If not whitch is the better quality?

First thing is Huffy is not one of the Pacific Brands http://www.pacificcycle.com/brands

Second Schwinn is hands down better especially is you buy the ones with better components at your local bike shop (LBS)..

But honestly there are too many better made used vintage frames out their to spend your money on.......

So why not find a classic frame and redo it, they have character and history, that only time creates.......

Or don't redo it, just grease it and ride it ratty. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back