Schwinn Tornado Klunker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The red on red is cool. Just beware of WWI flying ace, Snoopy and his Sopwith Camel. :wink: Seriously, very cool looking forward to seeing this one all done up.

Thanks guys glad you like it so far - new pics . Can only do so much after i come home from work . Next are the cranks and chain and hopefully a test ride Sat morn . Enjoy .
2012-02-03_01-31-28_621.jpg

2012-02-03_01-31-16_871.jpg

2012-02-03_01-30-12_604-1.jpg

Crank!Basti said:
NICE! I like it a lot. I'd only suggest a red or black seat.

Thanks - I actually have a black seat but it not a Brooks - and ive always wanted one on a build . But ill post pics later its still in the mock up stage , i don't think it'll ever really be done . Ive got i 1 pc crank a 3pc ss crank and a 3pc multi gear crank , also WANT drum brakes and gears . But for now it'll be a single speed with only a front brake till i figure something out for the rear . And DEF looking for the same Brooks but in black .

pickle said:
super badd! put a black brooks on that beast and it's perfect!

Thanks , yes i know i need a black Brooks but i had the hardest time getting this one . Actually this bike built itself - i had different plans for it : Raw not Red , Brown not Black , Black not Red , Silver ( chain ring ) not Black , 1pc not 3pc. etc............
So basically its not finished but its done for now . Got to find time and just ride it for now .

It's all good. A finished bike is better then one that is sitting around seeing no action so I'm glad it went to you. I'm surprised how quick you got it together.

Schwinn made an adaptor to use on the fender brace which allowed the mounting of a caliper - they're hard to come by. Others have made homemade, bolt on versions. You could use a Big Cheese (or similar) brake mount. You can find those on DansComp. That allows a canti brake which would be more effective than a caliper IMO. ACS made canti brakes that you could mount. Check out Skullskates.com bicycle museum and you will see them on PD's cruisers from the 30's - 70's. They are also hard to come by. Lastly you could have a piece welded and then drill a hole for a caliper.

Othere choices are like you said - drum, coaster, multispeed hub, etc.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back