Schwinn Tornado Klunker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was very inspired by the Klunker gallery . It was an all time vision i had but didnt even know it excisted . And what made me want to build one even more was my dad. He came to visit us last summer and wanted to hit the trails with me but couldn't figure out the shifting on my MTB and didnt like the race saddle on my 29" BMX ( Big Ripper ). I started looking for a frame and found a Monark cruiser complete for him and this Schwinn Delux Tornado for me. I have most of the parts to get it rolling just need to find an old Brooks to make it complete . Even though i know it will never be finished . Its starting as a single speed - but i want a multi speed , brum brakes etc..... :wink: For now frame , forks and bars are being stripped to bare metal .

2012-01-16_10-44-06_531.jpg

2012-01-16_17-36-14_996.jpg

2012-01-16_17-36-03_97.jpg

Nice frame, I like the straight bars. Were did you find the aircraft paint stripper? I hear about it alot but can never find it.

You can get Autostrip-F at any Sherman Williams paint store.

Chips_Mahoy said:
MADDAWG said:
Chips_Mahoy said:
I think I've seen the same brand/can of stripper at O'Reilly Auto Parts.

Yes ( O"Reilly's ) but its not or did not work for me, taking to the blasters probably

Thanks for the heads up! I was going to use some on an upcoming project.

No prob , Ive heard good stuff about the stuff BUT it didn't work for me . I had it blasted today only $25 for the frame / fork and bars . I should have gone that route from the beginning . Instead of spending $20 for two cans of the stripper . Now should i sand it and clear coat it of should i paint ? :?

Paint stripper has a tough time eating lead paint. I am a painter by trade and we use some pretty tough stripper for lead ebatement. And it takes a few times through with it to soften the paint.. I would imagine most of these bikes are painted with leaded paint since lead was deemed "unsafe" and unusable in like 72-73 I think. But I could be wrong on the year. I have tried some industrial stripper on a few frames and it was useless! Old wire wheel and sandpaper or a sandblaster is the way to go by far.

love the frame,like the color...goodluck on this build :D

I like red on red also but on that other picture the bike looks pink. I thought you were doing kind of a pink hutch trick star set up.

Latest posts

Back