SCHWINN STRAIGHT BAR STRANDIE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I picked this Schwinn frame up off of Ebay a few weeks ago really cheap. Whoever had it before had stripped it down and for some reason welded a kickstand hanger on it. I wasn't too picky considering the price and decided this past Sunday since the weather was nice that I would build it up.

I sanded on it some more and painted it with a few coats of red primer. I used an unknown chrome tube fork that I had. The wheels are alloy Felt 26" x 50mm wheels with some old weathered Cheng Shin knobbies. I had a Matthews double clamp BMX stem and some Wald 898 bars to use. Ended up installing a new set of AME GT style grips and a Person's saddle as well as some Super Maxy cranks and Suntour bear trap pedals. The bike rides awesome and is fairly lightweight. The only change I might make is to install a set of gumwall knobbies.

straight.jpg

schwinn_straightbar001-copy1.jpg

Made few part changes. Went with a Brooks saddle and changed the gearing to 16T rear and a 44T up front. Took it downtown, cruised around and the gearing seemed perfect. Still waiting for those gumwalls to arrive to see how they look. Should be here tomorrow I think. Also want to install a true sealed BB next.

straightbar004_1600.jpg

Gumwalls huh? Might go good with the paint color however I think blackwall would show off the deep rims more.
Sure hope you post new pics with changes! :)

I picked this Schwinn frame up off of Ebay a few weeks ago really cheap. Whoever had it before had stripped it down and for some reason welded a kickstand hanger on it. I wasn't too picky considering the price and decided this past Sunday since the weather was nice that I would build it up.

I sanded on it some more and painted it with a few coats of red primer. I used an unknown chrome tube fork that I had. The wheels are alloy Felt 26" x 50mm wheels with some old weathered Cheng Shin knobbies. I had a Matthews double clamp BMX stem and some Wald 898 bars to use. Ended up installing a new set of AME GT style grips and a Person's saddle as well as some Super Maxy cranks and Suntour bear trap pedals. The bike rides awesome and is fairly lightweight. The only change I might make is to install a set of gumwall knobbies.

View attachment 71471

View attachment 71472
Love everything about this bike!

Latest posts

Back