Schwinn Stingray Slik?????????

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hey guys, long time no talk. I was away from the world of bicycles for a few years after selling my Dyno Cruiser off for financial reasons but I'm back, hopefully this time to stay. I recently (like two days ago) bought a '70 Schwinn Fastback on eBay (it hasn't even arrived yet) and I'm already looking at modifying it. The ad states "Carlisle Ribgripper - rear tire 20 x 1-1/4 x 1-3/8". I'd like to know if a Schwinn Slik like this one will fit the same rear wheel or will it need to be changed to a wider one?

stingraytire2.jpg

Anyway........................good to be back. Here's the bike in case you're interested:

s-l1600.jpg

The tire you showed says 20" right on it. (20 x 2.125, that's 20" diameter and 2.125" wide)
The bike you showed appears to have 26" diameter wheels. So... width is hardly the issue here!

Fastbacks use 20 X 1 3/8 tires. The Slick pictured will not fit the S-5 & S-6 rims that were used on the Fastbacks...

Wow. I don't think I've ever seen a single speed Fastback. Even if you got a S-2 rim, I doubt there is sufficient clearance between the chain stays. Maybe a 1.75" on an S-2 or generic wheel or a 1 3/4" on an S-7 rim could fit.

Maybe I'll just go with the Fastback style Schwinn Slik, it would certainly be a lot easier (and cheaper) than having to change out the rear wheel not to mention the potential clearance problems. I'll post some more pics of the bike once it arrives. Here's a couple of photos of the Fastback Slik in case anyone is wondering what it looks like:

tire35c2.jpg

tire83w.jpg

But that "Slik" only a 20" diameter.
Do you mean you intend to put little 20" wheels on that bike? The width keeps getting mentioned but it seems like the diameter is being ignored, that's the big deal breaker.

But that "Slik" only a 20" diameter.
Do you mean you intend to put little 20" wheels on that bike? The width keeps getting mentioned but it seems like the diameter is being ignored, that's the big deal breaker.
The skinny tires are fooling you. That's a 20" bike.

Latest posts

Back