schWINn or Lose *5/15 ridden

Discussion in 'BUILD OFF #7' started by N8NBOX, May 12, 2012.

1. N8NBOX

N8NBOX

0   0   0

...its all about having fun right? Anyways, I know mine wont be able to compete with all of the old school cool and high dollar/crazy fabricator skills builds...but ill enjoy it. Anyways, im super broke but help manage a non-profit community bike shop so have access to a ton of junk parts (99% Wal-mart BSO's). We have had this frame up at shop ive been meaning to build for almost 3 years now so here it goes. Should be pretty fast since I won't be doing anything fancy.

Your standard Schwinn Diamond frame.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love the patina!
    [​IMG]

Some parts I picked up, the fenders don't fit but thats what hammers and grinders are for right :mrgreen: ?
    [​IMG]

2. MplsCoaster

MplsCoaster

0   0   0

Re: schWINn or Lose

Glad you entered the fun! I'm building one of these (on the side) too
    The most important part!
    Best of luck

3. yoothgeye

yoothgeye I <3 Single Speeds Moderator

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Welcome, have fun building, that's what this is all about anyways.

4. dogdart

dogdart

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

If you have fun , then you are a schWINNER

5. Gold Street Customs

Gold Street Customs

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

I like it !!

6. N8NBOX

N8NBOX

0   0   0

Yeah and the fillet brazing always makes it feel better knowing someone actually spent some time working on each one by hand. SO, started taking everything apart and I guess water collected in the top end of the headtube but not the bottom...
    [​IMG]
    The bottom bearings cleaned up pretty nice but the top as you can see were completely obliterated. Also took apart the bottom bracket, pulled all of the balls out, wire brushed and polished them all up. Going to pick up another top bearing race this week and start greasing and putting everything back together when I can find the time.(maymester starts tomorrow so will be doing school 8-12 and work 3-midnight.)

So, one thing im debating on is polishing up all of the chrome parts or leaving them a bit rusty. Thoughts?

7. Craiggo

Craiggo

0   0   0

schWINn or Lose

I only comment on the low budget builds. The expensive ones are soo overrated :) can't wait to see how it turns out :D

8. imagearchy

imagearchy

0   0   0

Great name! It's always a good start. I will be watching!

9. N8NBOX

N8NBOX

0   0   0

Chainring half done...
    [​IMG]
    Stem before and after...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Seat before and halfway done...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. N8NBOX

N8NBOX

0   0   0

Threw it back together for now with the only pedals I had that fit. Going to start hunting for a set of pedals and debating on recovering the seat white. Had built up an old schwinn mesa runner MTB with these 700c wheels but didn't really like it so going back to 26" on it and going to use these on this build :). Had to take a dremel to the dropouts a bit to get the axles to fit but they went on without too much grinding and prying. Next on the list of things to do is figure out how to make those fenders fit.
    [​IMG]

-Hooked up my trailer and rode it a few miles and its a ton of fun to ride, really like the bars in that position, stretches me out a bit since the frame is so small, and think it gives it a nice agressive look.

11. Joker-n-Jack

Joker-n-Jack

0   0   0

I love that I'm not the only UberLowBudget guy here...Makes me feel more comfortable. I can't wait to see how your bike comes out!

12. N8NBOX

N8NBOX

0   0   0

Yeah I might end up splurging on a set of pedals but I capped myself at $20 for this build so hopefully I can just dig some out of a pile somewhere for free or super cheap. Started photoshopping things and think I will stick with the black seat, might re-cover it with something fancy and replace the padding though, its all rotted out underneath so not very comfortable at the moment.

13. tin machine

tin machine

0   0   0

very cool build ,love the schwinn , just noticed this build very cool ,i like it 8) 8)

14. N8NBOX

N8NBOX

0   0   0

Thanks I like it as well :)

15. CCR

CCR Certified Man-Child Moderator

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

looks like you could hang a bungee net from grip to grip for a makeshift front rack too. Love the look of the bike !!! Nice work :)

16. kingfish254

kingfish254 Check out the 30+ Items in my FOR SALE thread! Pro Member

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0

Nice diamond in the rough. :roll:

17. N8NBOX

N8NBOX

0   0   0

Thanks :p. It has been a blast so far and worked through some problems I ran into and came up with solutions I can use in the future. Primarily with that destroyed top bearing cage....tried finding a replacement but nothing fit so tried taking out a ball and triming down one I had...which caused binding...so then I ended up just using the old balls with a couple other ones I had that were the same size, globbed a bunch of grease on the race and squished the balls into the grease. So now its a loose ball bearing setup up top but it works great! From what ive read loose bearins are actually better since you have more bearing surface and less friction from the cage. No luck with anything else yet but should have some time this weekend to make another push.

18. N8NBOX

N8NBOX

0   0   0

Been slow going trying to get our community bike shop on track on top of full-time work and summer school but found some pedals and a set of fenders I like much better, will figure out how to mount them and snap some pictures(no tabs in the front so might weld on something?)

19. Xcruiser

Xcruiser

0   0   0

+1 there is nothing wrong with those frames.When schwinn fillet brazed a diamond frame adding smooth transition from tube to tube they turned it into a classic.