Schwinn Model?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Schwinn cantilever frame and was wondering if there is a way to determine the model? The serial number tells me its a May-1961 frame.

If you have the original chain guard or can see the original paint, that may help, otherwise it could be several models, the cantilever frames are mostly identical. Unless it's a king size, then you can narrow it down further.

A '61 frame would likely be a middleweight, unless by a small chance it is a Wasp ballooner. Gary

Thanks for the info. Judging by dimensions its definitely a middleweight. Unfortunately I was told it has been re-painted and no chain guard, I only have the frame. The seller said it was a Typhoon, but was curious if there was any distinction between models. I was hoping to put an original chain guard on it. Just like cars, I love the original characteristics with a custom flair.

There weren't any Typhoons in 1961, it came out later. Here's the catalog from 61, from the trfindley page: The list shows a good number of bikes it could be, the middleweight cantilever frame is identical for a few models. Only the spitfire has a unique paint scheme, with scrolls on the front. If your bike was sanded down before painting, you can't tell, but if the front of the frame is white with the scrolling, and it's a cantilever, then it's a spitfire.

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1961_1970/index.html

Thank you for the link. From what I can see the frame was sanded and primered. There is a hint of red on the kickstand bracket. No hint of white on the front.(Not ready to strip the paint yet) I've always wanted to customize a cantilever so I guess I shouldn't be picky. I guess I'll pick my own chainguard. Again Thank you for the info. This site is amazing!

Latest posts

Back