"Jazzy-Ray"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend's daughter, named Jazzlynn, loves bikes. Her birthday is coming up in August. Her Dad loves muscle bikes. I based my Monster Ray off his OG Manta Ray (Campus Green even). He likes my Monster so much that he wants one for his tall daughter. Hence Monster's little sister Jazzy. I just bought the donor bike 2 days ago, and I'm grabbing parts. So progress will be slow at first.

For those that haven't seen it, the
ifql.jpg
Monster is below.

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/monster-ray.77433/

Great theme Jazzy Ray :D
Can't wait to see how you incorporate the RayBans.
00888072315242_S.jpg

I'm balancing a lot of stuff right now, so a build isn't a top priority. I'm going to squeeze time in when I can. First, let's start with the obligitory "before" shot in front of the white garage door.

(available parts for you to PM me about: Bars, grips, fenders, tires, seat, sprocket)

y1p7.jpg

I'm waiting on parts, including the rear rim. I always like to start a build with the wheels. However, the first thing I'm going to do this time is break the bike down. Unspoke the wheels, then use the rear hub to hold the rear dropout spacing while I spread the stays. I should get all that done this weekend hopefully.

Last edited:
Your Parts are on the Way my Friend !
Gonna Be Cool seeing them on your Build !

~RafaeL!

Not the update you might have been expecting, but here it is: My garage and bike work area are a mess. So I had to do some major organizing. I've got a ton of parts I should sell, but what a PITA. Buying them is much easier. Anyway, I got distracted. I found a bunch of parts and threw this mock up together. Looks like I might have something for the next Muscle Bike Build Off in winter.

0y1y.jpg

Then I unburied a bike I haven't seen in the flesh that I bought last year for the wife. A '64 (I believe) Murray Astro Flight. I have a Nexus 3 speed I'm going to lace into the back (I'll have to widen it a little.) The paint has a few scars, but this bike is just too cool to mess with. I wish I knew a way to restore plastic's chrome finish.

dp45i.jpg

Some '60's cool
01q1.jpg

Check out the switch. It's a little planet and... swoosh, or something! Looks like the front end of this bike came from Space Mountain at Disney!
4bx1.jpg

Ok... that's enough goofing off. On to the update. I stripped the Collegiate down. It was pretty easy since it's in such good shape. However, I was going to take the back wheel apart so I could use the hub to hold the drops in place and spread the stays. However, the freewheel uses a tiny tool I don't have. So I'm going to have to take the wheel to a shop and hopefully they have one. I'm also going to drop the chainguard off at the chrome shop.

That's it for now!

Took the wheel to the shop and they had to correct freewheel tool and popped off the cluster. I de-spoked the wheel, overhauled and polished the hub, then used the hub to hold the stays. I set up my spreader and went to work.

Here's the spreader set up, ready to start.
6lgx.jpg

After about an hour or so, here's the result. Clearance on either side of the much thicker tire.
qnb7.jpg

And what the wheel will look like in the frame. (This is the back wheel off the Monster)
pvsn6.jpg

That is one of the coolest goofing off posts in a while! Love the mock up and the AstroFlite.
If you haven't already, you need to post that frame widening trick in the How To section.

Latest posts

Back