Schwinn Heavy Duti -- Cantilever vs. Straight Bar

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have been looking for a Chicago made Schwinn Heavy Duti for some time now and I've noticed there are a lot more cantilever framed HDs compared to the straight bar HDs. Can anyone provide me with a little more info on the straight bar such as years produced or any other info that will help me find one more easily? I've noticed there are a few around here and I must say they look great.

I really want a straight bar HD and I'm seriously considering trading my chromed Worksman frame for one!

Thanks,
BDL

All the old Heavy-Duti's I have seen are cantilever frame middleweights with heavy components.

The current model is a straightbar and it's pretty sweet looking. It's 100% Chinese however. It's been in all the Schwinn catalogs as a regular model for years.

Lists for $440 from your local Schwinn dealer. (That's not Target!)

http://www.schwinnbikes.com/bikes/cruisers/heavy-duti

s_2011_head_yel.png

Have fun!

--Rob

bigdaddylove said:
Hi,

I have been looking for a Chicago made Schwinn Heavy Duti for some time now and I've noticed there are a lot more cantilever framed HDs compared to the straight bar HDs. Can anyone provide me with a little more info on the straight bar such as years produced or any other info that will help me find one more easily? I've noticed there are a few around here and I must say they look great.

I really want a straight bar HD and I'm seriously considering trading my chromed Worksman frame for one!

Thanks,
BDL

I think when he says "heavy duty" he is talking about balloon tire bikes, not the Schwinn Heavy-Duty middleweight. I may be wrong...

If I'm right, then the straight bar frames you are looking for were made from 1933 to the early 60's. The earliest was the motorbike style. Then the B model and C model frames. In '39 the DX came out. It has double curved bars. After the war it was just the B model and the DX. One of the problems with getting a straight bar frame is finding a tank. No repops made now and an original tank will set you back around $250 on ebay (last time I checked). Gary

Outlaw90 said:
dude i really like that new schwinn even. but ive no luck finding any kind of straight bar schwinn...

Yeah, me too. I just can't do a Chinese made Schwinn, though. :cry: I'm just too old skool and set in my ways.

There is an industrial arts place in Oakland called The Crucible that occasionally has a class on making bicycle frames https://store.thecrucible.org/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=415_416_671. I'd like to take the class and make this style frame once I get the prerequisites out of the way.

Latest posts

Back