Schwinn HD road side freebie Gulf Bike Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this freebie left on the side of the road. Old lady opened her front door and just said take it. Seems like a pretty neat frame and worth resurrecting or at least worth using for parts. Any information on this bike would be appreciated and any pics of customs based on this frame would be nice too. Thanks.
e5amydym.jpg
gave9yty.jpg
uhy5e3um.jpg
vesebema.jpg

Machine Age Victim said:
sweet score, that would make a nice bmx cruiser
I was thinking the same thing. Swap over some cheap mountain bike forks and a few other parts. Should be a fun build.

More than likely equipped w/stainless steel fenders! That in and of itself is a nice score.

Alright new inspiration. Gotta do it. I would love for this to be a gulf bike. Really hoping I can get started on it soon. Gulf inspired bike she will be.
9asedude.jpg

Scored this sweet set of worksman wheels for it. Pretty wide with the big spokes. Cleaned up in the blaster at work. Should paint up nicely. Too bad the frame won't fit in our blaster.
a6ety5ur.jpg
tanupa7u.jpg

Slow progress but I'm still excited about it. Bead blasted frame and fork. First coat of primer on the bare metal tonight.
pu6amyta.jpg

Slight progress. First coat of base color on the forks. Pretty much using the forks as a tester before I start on the frame. Also taped off and started painting the spokes on one of the wheels.
u5apy7es.jpg

If your blaster is too small, just make a box out of visquine and 1x4 to the side of it. YOu have to shovel the media back in but hey it beats sanding all that paint. You may need a rube goldberg way to hit the release pedal, but it's doable.

Advise please. Do I cut these chain guard tabs off the frame or leave them just in case? I'm tempted to just leave them.
e7a6apad.jpg

Latest posts

Back