Schwinn Fore Brake on Monark Springer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying not to reinvent the wheel. Drum brakes on a springer front end is not a "new" concept. So I'm hoping someone can share some past success (or even failures) in making this conversion. I can't mount the brake stay to the fork without taking into consideration the swing (arc) motion of the springer. The brake arm moves towards the bike approx. 11/16" when the springs on the forks are completely collapsed. Thanks
IMG_0529.JPG
IMG_0530.JPG
IMG_0531.JPG

Can you weld a plate steel tab onto the front fork tube and Dremel a hole that is arc shaped to accommodate the pattern the drum brake arm makes? Perhaps a small nylon bushing over the attachment bolt, with frequent oiling, to keep noise down. I have welded tabs to rigid forks for drum brakes and it works well and looks neat. You could always saw off the tab if it didn't work and file/fill any rough spots. How about fabricating a piece of steel plate with offsets to clear the front fork tube and attaching one end to the brake arm and the other to the front axle with another axle bolt and lock washer. I can't envision if this would work without seeing what moves though. I'm looking forward to see what working solution you come up with.

This is a different fork but I essentially did the same thing. The bracket looks like it would possibly move but it doesn't. It was just the best and most simple way that I came up with to add a bracket.

The hub and rocker are locked very rigidly together.
index.php

In your case, I would probably make a new rocker with an extra 'ear' on the front to attach the brake arm to.

Welcome aboard!

Since both fork arms need to move in relation to the rocker, it can't be attached to either arm. As mentioned above, you'll need to fabricate something that will keep the brake aligned with the rocker. As much stress will be placed on the brake arm, it'll have to be something heavy enough to not flex.

Can you weld a plate steel tab onto the front fork tube and Dremel a hole that is arc shaped to accommodate the pattern the drum brake arm makes? Perhaps a small nylon bushing over the attachment bolt, with frequent oiling, to keep noise down. I have welded tabs to rigid forks for drum brakes and it works well and looks neat. You could always saw off the tab if it didn't work and file/fill any rough spots. How about fabricating a piece of steel plate with offsets to clear the front fork tube and attaching one end to the brake arm and the other to the front axle with another axle bolt and lock washer. I can't envision if this would work without seeing what moves though. I'm looking forward to see what working solution you come up with.
I thought about welding a tab and doing exactly what you suggested and cutting the arc shape, but I didn't want to weld on the fork. I think I can accommodate the brake arm swing by attaching the "torque" arm to the rear pivot. Thanks for the help

To help put things in perspective, here is a "mock up" of the bike. I intend on keeping the original Monark tank and mounting a small round vintage Briggs Stratton gas tank on the rear carrier. The bike was complete san's the chain guard when I got it, but well beyond restoration.

monark whizzer 2.jpg

Latest posts

Back