Schwinn Fat tire attempt

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone, I have a Schwinn del mar running 26 x 2.125 tires. The question, is there a way to get 3-inch tires on this bike? My main concern is the back wheel(as the front doesn't sound that hard). I already know that 26x3s won't work at all. So I wanted to see if I could do 24x3s in the rear. I see them quite often on this site. I found online a pic of this bike having 2.5s, but they appear to be on 26s. Is it possible? I appreciate the responses thanks.

Attachments

• Schwinn.jpg
    Schwinn.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 133
  • Image 10-19-20 at 3.51 PM.jpg
    Image 10-19-20 at 3.51 PM.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 178
I’m running 24x3s on 70s 26” middleweight cantilever Schwinn frames. It’s not a direct fit, you’ll need to extend the rear 2-3 inches.

Can you remove the rear rack, fender and wheel to get some measurements?

Depending on the current width, you ‘may’ be able to spread the frame (there are several methods).
If you go the route of extending the dropout, you’ll also have to add extensions for the fender and rack you want to keep them.
Extending also means adding a few chain links

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 26” fender on. 24x3 wouldn’t look quite right without modifying it a bit. Rack still fits like normal if you drill a hole (I did)

Also I keep hearing about people spreading their 26” frames to fit a 24”x3 but have yet to actually see it. When I looked into The problem area isn’t the rear where the axle sits, but closer to where the kickstand is (image attached to show). No idea how it would be possible to only spread that part which is why I went extensions
4586812E-B61F-401E-BCFF-52F5F8586728.jpeg

A 26” fender on. 24x3 wouldn’t look quite right without modifying it a bit. Rack still fits like normal if you drill a hole (I did)

Also I keep hearing about people spreading their 26” frames to fit a 24”x3 but have yet to actually see it. When I looked into The problem area isn’t the rear where the axle sits, but closer to where the kickstand is (image attached to show). No idea how it would be possible to only spread that part which is why I went extensions View attachment 142643
How much clearance do you need?

2016-10-22+11.26.17.jpg

did you measure how much you had to spread it? When I measured on the Schwinn frame 1” was needed

As Benje showed in the photo of the frame, the kickstand area is the problem. There simply isn't enough clearance in that spot and I'm not sure how to extend that area. In the kickstand area, at the end of the tire, it is measured to be about 2.75in. Extensions seemed like a good solution. Reliability is also a must as well. I appreciate all the responses thank you, guys. Does nobody make extensions to purchase?

Nice chainstay crimper!!
Those are usually good for a good chunk of distance depending on the frame. Between that and placing a block in the stays you can gain a surprising amount of clearance

I had mine cut from chromoly at a local spot. Measured a bit and made a vector file to send.

A fat tire measures less width on a narrower rim. Also the tires are rounded so it is not like you need 3" of width all the way.
But I think extending the rear rather than expanding is the way to go because it makes for a longer rear end, so longer, lower and more aggressive lines.

Just be sure to use high tensile strength bolts, like grade 8. Nylocks probably wouldn’t hurt either.
There is a lot of torque from the chain and braking. You will need a minimum of two mounting points on each side.
Can you post a pic of the existing dropouts?

I always thought a tool like this one would be useful in situations like this. It's intended to spread exhaust manifolds, but presumably work on any kind of tube. The tips extend or contract when the center barrel is turned. Turnbuckles work the same way, but this thing is beefy.

6156RIU0PPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Extensions may be the only way to do it on your Delmar. Width might be possible, but the height is the limiting factor. Your tires now have a diameter or 26". The 3 inch 26" tires usually have a diameter of 28". The 26" rim itself has a diameter of 22". There's not enough space even with the wheel all the way back in the dropouts.

But the 24x3 (which I think he’s looking to run) are just shy of a 26”, right?

I always thought a tool like this one would be useful in situations like this. It's intended to spread exhaust manifolds, but presumably work on any kind of tube. The tips extend or contract when the center barrel is turned. Turnbuckles work the same way, but this thing is beefy.

View attachment 142709

Just put one of these on my watch list!
Thanks @RustySprockets !

But the 24x3 (which I think he’s looking to run) are just shy of a 26”, right?

That's right! Here's 24 x 3 on a couple of 26" bikes. The height of a 24 x 3 is very close to 26".
13962863_10154406949331737_9100924853076212954_o - Copy.jpg

29017_10151493160491737_1417847450_n - Copy.jpg

Latest posts

Back