Schwinn Drop Out - Drag Style Bob Job (now with video)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on finishing, love the paint and stripes, really pulls the whole bike together!

Luke.
Thank you. We actually experimented with a purple/magenta stripe first, but wiped it off, and went with Feenk Green instead. Dave really brought it all together with those stripes.
whoa. incredible.
Impressive craftsmanship
I'm really glad you guys are digging it. I really made an effort to up my game this year.

Cool! Finished details are there, and your well-described vision turned out really great. Nicely done RAT.

Cool! Finished details are there, and your well-described vision turned out really great. Nicely done RAT.
I'm sure it's too shiny for some folk's definition of a rat rod bike, but also think that it has the spirit and the pedigree to wear that title. Besides that, we're not having that discussion on this forum anymore, right? :whistle::nerd:

This build came out amazing, the fit and finish on it is perfect, the paint came out great, and it's one of the few bikes so far in this build off with shiny paint. An A+++ Kustom.:thumbsup:

A lot of craftmanship and style going on here! It's amazing that those thin tubes are holding up. I like it!
There's an old wives' tale that tubing is stronger than rod. While for a piece of the same weight, that's absolutely true, if it's just about two pieces of the same diameter and material, the rod is stronger than tubing. Since I wanted skinny, and didn't care about weight, we went with solid 3/8" rod for the seatstays. Using rod changed my original idea for the design, though. Rod is at its strongest when it's straight, so rather than making a wishbone rear end that does a U-bend around the tire, we went with two straight spars that tie into the top tube. Since bends have less negative effect on the strength of tubing (as long as you don't kink it) we used the 45-ish degree bends on the 15/32" thick-wall chainstay extensions to bring everything into line.

This build came out amazing, the fit and finish on it is perfect, the paint came out great, and it's one of the few bikes so far in this build off with shiny paint. An A+++ Kustom.:thumbsup:
Thanks! I don't know about "perfect" fit and finish, but probably better than when it left Schwinn, at least. :39: I really have my buddy Sam to thank. he kept pushing me to sand more, add more filler, and sand again:headbang: until we just couldn't justify more time invested in prep for the few tiny imperfections we could still see. It turns out, with several layers of paint and clear, they virtually disappeared, anyway.

such a Stunning build! The paint is just amazing too .. what a transformation from what it use to be at first :41::rockout:

Sweet look ride ! love that custom mean streets look . You captured the chopper vibe for sure . The bike looks tough yet has a sleek & slender frame . Nice job

such a Stunning build! The paint is just amazing too .. what a transformation from what it use to be at first :41::rockout:
Great finish and look to this custom build. Truly a new classic on its own. Great Work!
That is one beautiful ride. Lines, colour, stance, pinstriping.......wow.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk
Sweet look ride ! love that custom mean streets look . You captured the chopper vibe for sure . The bike looks tough yet has a sleek & slender frame . Nice job
Wow Fellas, I appreciate the great compliments on the bike. I'll try to get some better/more detail shots this weekend. I'm trying to find some different settings; it seems as if I am always taking pics of my bikes on a wooded path or at the beach.

ed606e54c295085e6721ef6e02f72813.jpg
f5f1320ad7eef4da93cdb13678ed82ee.jpg

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back