Schwinn Deliveri

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When I picked up this Deliveri frame from @ind-chuckz I had other plans for it, but it just kind of headed this direction and I love it. Can't wait for some nice weather to get it out past the end of the block.
20190130_075151a.jpg

20190130_075042a.jpg

20190130_075231a.jpg

I wasn't crazy about the name Deliveri so I borrowed the Tornado name off another straight-bar Schwinn. The "BX" part was borrowed from the Sting-Ray BX, a 1978-only bike that wasn't a BMX bike, but had BMX-inspired looks.

It should not squeal. Is there much side play ? Tire rubbing on frame ? Gotta keep them properly lubed and adjusted because replacement parts get expensive .
Tire isn't rubbing, but there is just enough side play to make me wonder. I have looked up a bunch of resources on overhauling them, and the one that actually helped me understand the whole process from beginning to end is this one:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/sutherland/CB-IGH-3-bendix.pdf

I'm a lot more comfortable following these directions step by step than trying to follow along with a video. Also, it described and named every part in a way that I could find it in the diagram and understand what to do with it. Just gotta work up the courage to tear into it, I guess.

From what I have read, am I correct that it's a good idea to use heavy axle grease on the bearings, but a lighter grease (like white lithium grease) on the other internal parts?

That is a good instruction manual. You might find some other stuff on google search. I did not find anything complete on Tube . There was a how to on this forum. You will need this tool : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bendix-2-S...h=item3b2962511c:g:s4gAAOSwyi1a40oY:rk:1:pf:0 Like Sutherland says, high temp ( wheel bearing ) grease . Sold in auto stores for use on wheel bearings for disc brakes. That is what I prefer. The lithium will just mix together in use with the wheel bearing grease. But in a previous discussion here about this hub, a member said that he used lithium.

So I finally did the hub rebuild and it was a success. But now I started putting some miles on it and I decided I need to make some changes, starting with the seat. That seat in the pics above is pretty cool looking but VERY uncomfortable. If it's a cruiser, it's gotta feel good to ride, so that seat has to go.

First attempt:
20200320_115811.jpg

Jeez, I want to like this seat. It's cushy and big and cool looking and comfortable and once I put it on a bike I hate it. Moving on...
20200321_172730.jpg

This one is fairly comfortable but kinda boring. It says SCHWINN on it, which is nice, but it looks like it's off a Target bike, probably because it is. Also the bars somehow aren't coming together for me anymore. Soooo...
20200321_184906.jpg
20200321_184858.jpg

These are Wald 803s, which I have on another cruiser and I really like. Getting closer...

Latest posts

Back