Schwinn Cruiser Four

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Picked this up @ Ann Arbor for $20. Pretty complete - just missing chain, chain guard, shifter, cable and grips. I liked the flared chrome fenders and aluminum rims, and I never had the dough for a nexus hub and thought I'd give it a chance.
Schwinn%20Cruiser%20Four%20001_zpshnofw8xs.jpg

Well, after some research I discovered what I had was a 15 year old Giant (Taiwan) built Schwinn.
They made both 4 and 7 speed bikes with Shimano nexus hubs.
Funny thing is the 4 speed is only the overdrive portion of the 7 speed hub so with the "stock" 46 tooth front sprocket the gears went from 52 gear inches in "1" to a whopping 96 gear inches in "4" ! So I fitted a 32 t front sprocket from a girls Wallymart Schwinn to
change the ratios to 38 gear inches in "1" to a normal 70 gear inches in "4" This compares well to my middleweight Schwinn with a SA 3 speed hub:
L gear (.75 reduction) = 52 gear inches
N gear (direct) = 70 gear inches
H gear(1.33 overdrive) = 93 gear inches. There is enough hills around here I seldom run in "H" on the SA hub
anyways. :)
Schwinn%20Cruiser%20Four%20002_zpszvgiua8t.jpg

Tires and tubes were good tho mismatched, and donor bikes provided the chain and grips. Last item I needed was the shifter and cable assy. If you shop for the 4 speed nexus shifter they are rare, pricey and seem to only be available from European sellers - so shipping is expensive too. However, from info obtained here and Sheldon Brown's excellent site - I learned a 7 or 8 speed nexus shifter works great with a 4 speed hub and I was able to buy an entire new assembly off ebay for $12.
https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-Revo...77&hvtargid=aud-836408683912:pla-435021991348

A couple tips for setting up the 4 speed nexus is set the clamp screw that snaps in the hub at 100mm out from the end of the cable sheath. This will get you in the ballpark to do final shift adjustments with the barrel on the twist shifter. Also you set the shifter with 7 and 8 speed nexus hubs at "4" and align the marks on the hub to assure correct shifting, and you set the 4 speed shifter at "4" also to adjust the indexing.
Schwinn%20Cruiser%20Four%20005_zps1hffetf9.jpg

It really is a nice solid rider and I intend to keep making improvements to it's appearance.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Looks sweet and to think it almost had to ride duct taped on top of a suv to get home from the bike show. Glad you got to save it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the ride Yooperman! Ann Arbor was an amazing trip.
I really did not know what to expect of a $20 Tiawanese Schwinn, It really rides great. Glad we could fit it in!:rofl:

cruiser schwinn 2 small.jpg
This bike keeps evolving. Few weeks ago I picked up a super nice Cruiser Seven frame fork and seat with beautiful black fenders with red pins. The seller had tried to sell the complete bike, then decided to keep the wheel set and strip the bike! I also had picked up a black detachable basket at Aldi's this Spring...
Just got done swapping wheels and handlebars from my original bike to the new frame and real happy how it turned out! I also needed a crank so went with a 175 Cro Mo unit and alloy pedals from a old BMX and a 49 tooth chain wheel from a 50's Ross. This bike now complements my wife's Cruiser Four nicely. :happy:

Last edited:
Schwinn cruiser 4 with Nexus hub gear inches:

Stock 46 t front sprocket (original) and 22t rear sprocket (original)
1st gear (direct) 46tooth/22tooth= 2 wheel revs per crank rev x 26"= 52 gear inches
2nd gear (1.244 overdrive) 52 gear inches x 1.244 = 65 gear inches
3rd gear (1.500 overdrive) 52 gear inches x 1.500 = 78 gear inches
4th gear (1.843 overdrive) 52 gear inches x 1.843 = 96 gear inches

It was pretty tall geared so on my first build I used a 36 t front sprocket from a junk kids 20" China Schwinn and the 22t rear sprocket (original)
1st gear 36tooth/22tooth= 1.63 wheel revs per crank rev x 26"= 42 gear inches
2nd gear = 52 gear inches
3rd gear = 63 gear inches
4th gear = 77 gear inches

When I swapped the wheels into the second nicer frame, I swapped the 36 tooth front sprocket for a 49 t front sprocket (from Ross 24") and 22t rear sprocket (original) at that time I also added 1/2" longer crank for more torque (I am not a spinner).
1st gear 49tooth/22tooth= 2.23 wheel revs per crank rev x 26"= 58 gear inches
2nd gear = 72 gear inches
3rd gear = 87 gear inches
4th gear = 107 gear inches

Bike is tough but doable for me on steep hills now, great on flat roads though.
I found the 36t to low for the street.

That Cruiser 7 frame looks great!

I bought a barely used ladies Cruiser Four just for the wheels and brick tires. Paid a little more, about three times more. But I plan on robbing just about all the parts off it. Wheels, tires, shifter, crank, bottom, bracket, headset and stem. Basically everything except the frame, forks, and giant half round handlebars..

Definitely geared high. But I really like the wheelset and tires, and how smoothly and precisely the Nexus 4 shifts.

I'm leaning towards putting the 4-speed setup on an old 19-ish inch Shogun Prairie Breaker II that I got for $35, and am taking the Suzue hubbed Araya 7x's and converting to a single speed to put on my forty dollar 17-ish inch Easton aluminum framed Kona mountain bike turned BMX cruiser.

The Shogun's frame should already be about the right width, and has horizontal dropouts. I believe I'll be running around a 42 on the front. And I thought my Nexus 4 has a 20 tooth sprocket. So that might work out pretty good.

Maybe I'll use the Cruiser Four's stem and some older smaller cruiser bars that I have, toss the front brake, and add a banana seat to completely change it's persona.

My wife and I have been riding our 700c hybrid bikes on 25 mi plus rides around home, to get ready for the Bike to the beat organized ride held in Appleton, WI this last Saturday. To cleanse the palate and relax post ride, I got out our Cruiser 4's out and gave 'em a tidy. we putted them around the back rods near our house Sunday evening. They are such solid (heavy) comfortable cruisers.... :happy:

Latest posts

Back