schwinn cranks?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
got this old pair of dog leg pre war cranks need help in identifying them they have a stamp
H-501-36....THANKS
PIC_3612.jpg

PIC_3611.jpg

PIC_3610.jpg

Most Schwinn cranks have the letters "AS" cast into them with a date. I've seen cranks marked like yours but I don't know if they are Schwinn or not. The shape of the dog-leg looks like they could be Schwinn but I'm not sure. Gary

I doubt that they are schwinn. That is a large group of numbers, and I have several Schwinn cranks dated throughout the 30's and have never seen that kind of numbering. My guess is that it's from a 36 Huffman.Their numbering in general was more complex than other companies even back then, since they were more of a mass produced bike for the dept stores.

I can't say that they definitely aren't schwinn. Doglegs were pretty similar between companies. Shelby and Elgin look so much like Schwinn. I have a set of 36 Elgins that are identical to my Schwinns, but just say 36, no other numbers or letters. Early Huffmans had dogleg cranks, and your set just really looks like those to me. Someone more knowledgable might chime in, but that number resembles a 40's ladies bike that looked like a huffman (not 100% sure) set I had. They weren't doglegs, but the number was similar and started with an H. I'm not sure what companies were making cranks back then, but my guess is there were just a few manufacturers making them for several bicycle companies and they would cast them with whatever numbers were needed, so many sets might look very similar.

I think this is true for pre war cranks. Schwinn used 28 threads per inch versus 24 tpi for other manufactures. Try threading on different BB.

Latest posts

Back