Schwinn Convertible ...SEX CHANGE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys!

Here's a closer look.
View attachment 15978
I had a thought this morning so had to look at this pic again. With all the technology we have and the ability to buy gold, silver, and copper leaf. I wonder if it's possible to make a leaf version of a metal that rusts, it could be great in an application like this.

sex change 2.jpg

sex change.jpg

Incredable Job , You really are a artist .
also the way the the tank trasitions into the frame
under the seat is very nice ,Just great over all look !

~Rafael~

Falstaff, not sure about steel leaf, but there are paints containing metal particles that can be patinated with a salt solution (varying types for different blue/green hues on the coppers and bronzes).

Falstaff, not sure about steel leaf, but there are paints containing metal particles that can be patinated with a salt solution (varying types for different blue/green hues on the coppers and bronzes).
I like the stuff TRM used on drag king, will have to check into some others. If I only I could snap my fingers and make appear what I see in my head.

That's what I used here. I really like using it because it produces actual rust, not paint that imitates rust.

I like the stuff TRM used on drag king...
I used the same stuff (Metal Masters) on this tank, just not as much. I worked it under the paint for a different effect than the Raceliner. I Tried to make it look like the rust is coming through the paint like it is on the top bar of the frame (next to the chain guard).
101_0271.JPG

Incredable Job , You really are a artist .
also the way the the tank trasitions into the frame
under the seat is very nice ,Just great over all look !

~Rafael~
Thanks Rafael, I really liked that transition to the seat stays myself. It was luck that the width of the tank matched perfectly right at the end of the tubes.

It has came out looking very realistic. Have you ever expiremented with hairspray or chipping fluid? Very cool
I had to google chipping fluid, I wasn't aware of that!
From what I saw it's a very similar effect but I'm not sure if it would be very durable on a bike. :39: I think those techniques are just for scale modeling where the pieces aren't handled after they're finished. Plus it's used with water based paint. Still, I'll log that in for the future, it might work great! I'm always open to experiment with anything just to see how it works. Thanks!

Createx has a line of water based paints that can be cleared with urethane automotive paint I am going to experiment with it soon. Your way worked perfectly
Good to know, thanks!
My long-used method for "peeling" paint has been to dab the "affected" areas with rubber cement before painting the color coat, and then removing it by dabbing with masking tape once the paint has flashed.
That's a great idea, I may have to try that sometime. :cool:

I started painting the tank halves today. Prior to this picture, I primed them and applied Metal Masters rust paint before top coating it. I was running out of daylight to get the top coat on, so I didn't get a picture of the primer stage.

You can see the rust paint under the top coat. The idea is to have the rust emerge from under the paint just as it would naturally on vintage metal.

More to come.
Tanks%20green%20paint_zpsqphxqlvt.jpg
Curse you photobucket.

Latest posts

Back