Schwinn Collegiate !?!?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know what to make of the rerelease of the Collegiate, Collegiate really... that's what Pacific dreamed up. What about King Sting, Paramount or even AirDyne. I like what they have done with krate lineup, Phantom but believe they missed the mark. Pacific needs to checkout what's desirable among Schwinn enthusiasts it isn't Collegiate.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-...-women-s-19-inch-frame-medium-large/892296069

I think it is more that it is essentially a bike that Detroit Bikes already makes that they could put some Schwinn stickers on. For a generic diamond frame bike, relevant Schwinn model names are a bit limited. I think Varsity would have had the brand recognition they probably were looking for, and a better fit.

The downside of this experiment, they probably did it to give the vocal critics an American made Schwinn...then they chose a boring bike with a non-sexy name. Now they can say, 'see... Americans won't pay for an American made Schwinn!'

Schwinn ended in the early 80's. Like RustyGold said, it's a Detroit bike with a Schwinn nametag. They offer almost the same bike for half the price. That's where Schwinn should be, making bikes in a Schwinn factory here in the USA, with a basic model for under $500. For an American made bike, the Worksman is the best bang for the buck right now.
1608766310279.png

Still, the Coligate wasn't that good of a bike, even in the 70s and 80s. I wish they did a reproduction of the humpback one with drop bars. That would be really interesting.

I am confussed to what market this bike was targeting. Schwinn collector? The price point doesn't match the Wally-World market. I'd say whoever is marketing the Schwinn line is asleep at the wheel. Very disappointed.

I agree. With the market booming right now, there's no excuse to drop the ball. Schwinn or any other bike maker could rake in a fortune by using a little common business sense.
1. People who weren't looking at bikes are now interested. There's a huge market there.
2. They aren't experienced riders, not since they were kids, so that's the type of bike they are looking for. Large BMX and cruisers should be a good foundation for a bike line.
3. They have a few hundred dollars or so ready to spend on a bike. A $1000 price tag is going to deter a lot of customers. They have seen the cheap bikes at Walmart and will go there if they can't find a 300-500 dollar bike that rides well and looks good.
4. Made in the USA is a strong selling point, but it must be within reason on price. Worksman bikes are good but heavy, we need a bike like the old Schwinns, only aluminum or lightweight at a good price.
6. If a company is only looking to make as much profit as fast as possible, we will get the usual crappy bikes. They need to build a good reputation like the old Schwinn company did if they want more money for almost the same bike as the competition.

I never really noticed the price when looking at the page because I always thought as a reasonable person it was going for $400 but I saw the price because you pointed it out and now I'm freaked out. Whoever buys this definitely has too much money.

Latest posts

Back