Schoolproject: building a cruiserbike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hello Rasmus
you have right but I dont know you live sow far
maybe will find time and money next summer and we will go to ELMIA SHOW with finished bikes :mrgreen: :wink:

i sure think it's great to have other swedes at this forum but...
don't you think it's a little overkill to ride 295km just for me to look at your bikes? :p

If you're anxious enough to finish the bike to your satisfaction, 295 km isn't that much. And it's free education ! :mrgreen:
Last weekend, I made a 140 km solo-cruise (to my original hometown and back). By the time I got back, I was completely demolished, but it was worth it. So if you really want something, it can be done. That's what I'm saying.

Good luck and don't give up. :)

wimpy said:
If you're anxious enough to finish the bike to your satisfaction, 295 km isn't that much. And it's free education ! :mrgreen:
Last weekend, I made a 140 km solo-cruise (to my original hometown and back). By the time I got back, I was completely demolished, but it was worth it. So if you really want something, it can be done. That's what I'm saying.

Good luck and don't give up. :)
'

295km are just singel trip, then it's another 295km to get home so i don't think i'm gonna do it :p

anyways, thaks for the support :)

finally!
i've completed the theoretical stuff i was suppose to do :)
now i can move on to the practical. Starting monday by going with a friend to the local scrapyard to find a bike which i can take the headtube from.
will hopefully keep the updates coming a little more frequently from now on :p

Do you have a metal lathe at school? If so just make a head tube from stock.

Hey Mate, what length do you need? I think I still have some chrome-moly stock for one inch headsets. Let me know, if I have the right stuff I will chop saw you a piece and send it.

c.p.odom said:
Hey Mate, what length do you need? I think I still have some chrome-moly stock for one inch headsets. Let me know, if I have the right stuff I will chop saw you a piece and send it.

thanks very very much for the offer but i live in sweden so it would probably cost rather much to ship it over here
but i really love the support man it means a lot! :D

Wolf said:
Any progress on this?

actually my teacher got the tubes for the frame yesterday! :D (i just thought i would wait with the update until i've started building)
now i'm just trying to get a time when i will be able to be in the workshop which isn't the easiest since my and my weld teachers schedule are consantly colliding. so far we've decided that i will be working in the workshop once every second week which i believe is far too little. So i will try to get at least one session every week, but until i get that i just have to settle for once a week, starting tuesday next week :)

Awesome! Can't wait to see some progress man :D

Maybe you should let him read the comments on this forum. To put the pressure on. :mrgreen: Tell him we're all waiting for some progress.
That might do the trick. Anyway,good luck and good fun,building. We'l see the pics coming.

hello guys, feel kinda embarrassed to post this cuz it's been so long since the last update and i feel like i've let all of you, which thought this was going to be a fun project to follow, down. I'm terribly sorry about the loooooong wait but i promise you that there's not much i could've done about it. First i was waiting for about a eternity for my teacher to order the tubes, and then we've been stuggling with our schedule so we couldn't find a time where i could be in the workshop etc.
As the time has been passing by without me been able to do something, the motivation became less and less and with new projects on the way (building a fixie) i've barely been thinking about this project but here we are now and hopefully i will get it done sometime :p
I can tell that just by getting to this stage has been a huge learning for me actually! when going into a project, try to avoid involving other people. The fewer people involved the fewer people can act like a brakepad for you!

anyways i've been cutting the top tube, and been cutting out plugs for the ends of that tube. Then i filled the tube with sand and after that my teacher felt like going home so i was forced to do the same... -.-
here's some crappy pics (mobilecam) for you at least :)

97b358e4.jpg

first plug carved out...
a07e82c1.jpg

...and pluged in
541e7742.jpg

filling time
665aaf95.jpg

second plug came out a litte better cuz i had a chisel to work with this time :)
d0f9ae94.jpg

both holes filled :)
2625e354.jpg

hope you enjoy it and that you will keep following the project and keep comment in this thread even if i havn't been uploading something for a very long time.
next week i will hopefully try heating the tube up and bend it, we'll see how that goes :p

//Rasmus

Great,you're back on track again. I hope the bending works out good,because it can be a tricky job. But,by taking it easy,it can be done. Have you got a drawing of how the frame will look like (on a big piece of cardboard or something)? I'll follow the project. Good luck,dude.

Beachside said:
Lycka till! Min fru kommer fran Malmö !
Good luck!! My wife is from Malmo!
wimpy said:
Great,you're back on track again. I hope the bending works out good,because it can be a tricky job. But,by taking it easy,it can be done. Have you got a drawing of how the frame will look like (on a big piece of cardboard or something)? I'll follow the project. Good luck,dude.

thanks guys, just by geting a "good luck" or two the motivation slowly comes back :)
wimpy: i got the bike drawn on a big piece of paper. I will probably bend a sheet metal to the desired radius of the tube, weld the sheet to a table and then heat up the tube and try to bend it against the sheet metal, let's hope it works. If it doesn't we surely got a problem :p

Latest posts

Back