Schoolproject: building a cruiserbike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here's a little update for you guys :)
sadly I didn't get any pipes for the frame today at school, my welding teacher hasn't order any yet -.-
anyway, i rebuilt the crank which i took from another bike. Hope the pictures talking for themself ^^

// Rasmus
vevparti1.jpg

plt.jpg

lagerbanor.jpg

bjdplt.jpg

vevparti2.jpg

frdigtvevparti.jpg

Nice job on the BB shell!
Is this HS, Jr College, or what?
There are not many ways to learn the "Trades" anymore.

Nice job. You're a lucky guy, 'cause you learned how to weld. It's always great, if you can build your own things. I'm a bit jealous. :mrgreen: Keep up the good work !

wimpy said:
Nice job. You're a lucky guy, 'cause you learned how to weld. It's always great, if you can build your own things. I'm a bit jealous. :mrgreen: Keep up the good work !

thanks but it's a long way to go :) It's been really fun learning how to weld and absolutely not as hard as I thought it should be :)

You making anymore progress?
Will this project languish at the end of the school year?
Come on old guys support the grommet!

c.p.odom said:
You making anymore progress?
Will this project languish at the end of the school year?
Come on old guys support the grommet!

sadly i'm probably won't be able to make any progress until after the summer. Cuz my welding teacher haven't ordered any tubes for the frame and therefore i hadn't been able to start with the frame. I hope that he will get them til next week and that he lets me take them home so I can work on the bike over the summer, but we'll have to see about that.
I'm probably going to start working on the rearwheel soon and try to solve everything about that (which could take some time :p)
the project should be done by the end om the next school year so at least i got a lot of time to fulfill it. :)
once again, thanks for the support. :) Sry i've haven't done any further progress but it's not exactly my fault :(

// Rasmus

Hello guys i have some bad news for you :(
I wasn't able to get any tubes from school to take with me home over the summer so now i'm probably won't be able to start with the frame for a while.
I will keep searching for a motorcycle rim to have as the back wheel of my bike and i will keep you guys updated how it's going

that's all for now
// Rasmus

Go source your own tubing, it's part of the learning curve.

c.p.odom said:
Go source your own tubing, it's part of the learning curve.

yes i probably will but for now i will start with fixing a rearwheel, efter all i need that before i start the framework so i know how wide i need to build the swing :)

what do you guys think, is a 180mm wide motorcycle tire to wide for this bike? :p

Could be nice. Think of using some sort of off-set sprocket or other construction, to clear the chain from the reartyre.
Good luck. :mrgreen:

actually i don't know how i will solve this so you guys, feel free to come with ideas :)
most of the problem lies in how to get the wheel to freewheel right?

// Rasmus

More unconventional is too dish the wheel offset to the left and build the rear triangle offset to match.

Just found this thread, great that you are pushing your skills, don't be put off by small problems: either in the design stage or the logistics of getting the materials- teachers often don't get things done when they said they would but it isn't a problem! Have fun learning and achieving:)

Any further progress?

Hi all you guys out there which is following my project, hope all of you had a great summer with a lot of cruising :lol:
I'll go back to school next week and i and know this may been said before but, i hope to get started at the frame, but there's a lot of things that will probably hold it back for some time, for example I guess my welding teacher hasn't ordered the pipes for the frame and also there's a lot of paperwork i must do before i'm actually allowed to get started. I must write some sort of workingplan for the entire project and stuff like that, what's that suppose to be good for? In my opinion, when you have a project you should just get started right away and see where it takes you right?

I know it's been an awfully long time before i've even got started and still i havn't and i'm really sorry for this. Anyways i hope you'll still follow my project and that you will have as fun following it as i probably will have building it :)

best regards
// Rasmus

Always remember the seven P's:
Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance

By the way a straight forward method round the chain line and 180 tyre issue is to use an idler shaft, a fixed sprocket on the wheel and a bicycle trials chainset that has the freewheel as its chainring- i think Onza did them- i know this means loosing the one piece crank set but it will be quick and simple. Good luck next week

[/quote]
c.p.odom said:
Always remember the seven P's:
Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance

haha :p maybe but i just like to jump in to a project and then solve problems as they apear along the way :)

Wolf said:
By the way a straight forward method round the chain line and 180 tyre issue is to use an idler shaft, a fixed sprocket on the wheel and a bicycle trials chainset that has the freewheel as its chainring- i think Onza did them- i know this means loosing the one piece crank set but it will be quick and simple. Good luck next week

this may dissapoint some of you and i would have loved it myself if i would have worked but i'm probably not gonna go for an motorcycle tire since i can't find a rim for it. I've been looking at different motorcycleshops, the junkyard and so on but i just can't find any that fit. Either it doesn't fit the wheel or it doesn't fit my budget...
i'm really sorry for this and also a bit angry since i would have been really cool but i'll have to keep to an regular cruiserwheel

// Rasmus

hello RASMUS
MAKE A TIME AND COME TO MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BIKES AND TO GIVE YOU SOME TIPS
NOW WHEN I WANT TO BE NICE :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

valy said:
hello RASMUS
MAKE A TIME AND COME TO MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BIKES AND TO GIVE YOU SOME TIPS
NOW WHEN I WANT TO BE NICE :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

i sure think it's great to have other swedes at this forum but...
don't you think it's a little overkill to ride 295km just for me to look at your bikes? :p

Latest posts

Back