Sand Rover DONE! (finished pics pg 5, sand video pg 7)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Sand Rover (complete and rideable, but not completED)

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
If I ever go to NC, I'll be paying you a visit to take that for a spin :mrgreen:

You are welcome to it. IF anyone from here sees me at the beach with it (Nags Head, week going into Labor Day) please stop and I'll let anyone ride.

Can't wait to go for a ride!!!

How heafty is it? Do u think the wheels hold up to some soft jumps

~ I'll bring the shovel and we can build a dirt jump park on the beach.

scanning CL now ~ 8) 8) 8)

I want to see video of you gravity racing down Kill Devil Hills!!!!! :mrgreen: :!: :!: :!:

Whitfield said:
Can't wait to go for a ride!!!

How heafty is it? Do u think the wheels hold up to some soft jumps

~ I'll bring the shovel and we can build a dirt jump park on the beach.

scanning CL now ~ 8) 8) 8)

Heafty as in heavy? Not as heavy as you'd think. Heafty as in sturdy? I think it's plenty sturdy, if I break it, I'll make sure it's beefier next time. I think the wheels will hold up to some abuse as I've never seen the rear rim messed up on one, tires or hubs yes, but rims always straight, and I've seen some BIG adults riding these things everyday. I'm trying to address every potential weak spot.

kingfish254 said:
I want to see video of you gravity racing down Kill Devil Hills!!!!! :mrgreen: :!: :!: :!:

I would get arrested! haha

If you had a really tall seat post and stem it would look like a folding Pugsley. :lol:

Rat Rod said:
If you had a really tall seat post and stem it would look like a folding Pugsley. :lol:

That's where Dune Thuggy comes in...... Maybe I should change the name to Fugsley (Folding Pugsley). :lol: 8)

Rat Rod said:

I thought about running a straight or low ride MTB bar, and I still might play with that idea, but I'll leave the folding bike look up to Kingfish. :mrgreen:

How does this thing ride, just wondering with the monster front wheel. Bet its going to be a workout in the sand

xddorox said:
Any bike in the sand is hard work but at least with this one you look cool doing it. :)

Good point :D

YOUBUGME2 said:
How does this thing ride, just wondering with the monster front wheel. Bet its going to be a workout in the sand

With it geared low (32:20) on the 20" wheels, it should be a workout, but not as much as if I hadn't addressed gearing. It rides really smooth, but the roundness of the tire makes it pull to the side you steer toward on the road, it's interesting, but not a problem.

I believe the steering issue is as more head tube pivot and fork angle then tire.

The head tube angle was changed when you welded on the new rear, wheel base and steering pivot centerline was altered again when you welded up the new forks.

Bring the axle center line in (shorten the whel base and or reduce the steering head tube angle) and it should make the steering more neutral.

To check the fork angle to wheel centerline~ Run a wooden dowel or metal tube (round straight device) from the inner fork tube (head set section) down past the front wheel drop outs ~ Measure the axle center line in reference to the tube (on the old Mach One fork).

Now repeat and remeasure on the new fork.

I see the new fork looks longer but the geometry should be similar to produce similar steering feel.

I thought that this might be the issue, so I turned the bars around when riding and rode with the fork backwards thinking that bringing the axle back a little would fix it... no difference. I will measure it, but I probably won't change it. :lol:

A lot of forks have a curve to them anyway that put the axle in front of the headtube angle centerline. I don't see how that is any different.
I am actually thinking of using the OCC bottom chainstay for my front fork beacuse it has brakes. That section would actually put the axle even farther in front of the headtube angle centerline. Maybe it's just the way it is because of how fat the front tire is. There a lot of surface friction going on there.

kingfish254 said:
A lot of forks have a curve to them anyway that put the axle in front of the headtube angle centerline. I don't see how that is any different.
I am actually thinking of using the OCC bottom chainstay for my front fork beacuse it has brakes. That section would actually put the axle even farther in front of the headtube angle centerline. Maybe it's just the way it is because of how fat the front tire is. There a lot of surface friction going on there.

Whitfield knows what he's talking about, so I will measure. My plan as well was to use the brake on the front, but my second OCC had one of the brake mounts ripped off! Oh well, just a rear brake. Beggers can't be choosers.

AKB said:

Thanks, need to get this all buttoned up, hopefully Monday night, then I can do paint and final test rides before packing it to go to the beach on Saturday.

You still need to post front and rear photos. That's where you can really see how fat these tires are on a small frame.

Latest posts

Back