Sand Rover DONE! (finished pics pg 5, sand video pg 7)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Sand Rover is FINISHED!!!! (finished pics page 7)

kingfish254 said:
Small world. I was there for a couple of years in the early 90s doing control engineering work at the paper mill. I lived in a cool apartment that was built inside of an old tobacco warehouse. Is the Shad restaurant still there just West of Plymouth?

When you turn off of 64 onto the paper mill road, if you turn the other way it is Long Ridge Road, my house was 2/10ths of a mile down there, it was built in the 70s, so you drove past it I'm sure. Yes, the Cypress Grill is still there right on the water serving fish, in fact the seniors in our church take a yearly trip there to eat herring.

rrednek said:
I must say though, that you and the rookie are pretty brave to be tooling around the carwash that late at night.

The Store Next Door carwash is where we always ride late at night, there's lots of light there and it's always a ghost town. I never even hear or see people in the apartments behind it. We have been to Presto about 3 times after mountain bike rides and it's a little shady there late at night, so out last late night cruise took us to Cookout instead.

Is there a way you could do this on a chopper frame with the original forks?

mattp427 said:

Yes, it has been done at least once, you just widen the triple tree clamps to bring the fork legs out wide enough to fit the wheel.

Looks like that hurricane is going further in shore then they thought at first... Might not get into the sand for a bit. I'm just happy its not hitting us for once, Alabama normally gets hit. Its like the gulf just funnels them into us.

YOUBUGME2 said:
Looks like that hurricane is going further in shore then they thought at first... Might not get into the sand for a bit. I'm just happy its not hitting us for once, Alabama normally gets hit. Its like the gulf just funnels them into us.

Looking like we may end up in Myrtle Beach... I'm not a fan of Myrtle Beach, PLUS, Nags Head would be free, MB will cost us. :x

yoothgeye said:
YOUBUGME2 said:

Looking like we may end up in Myrtle Beach... I'm not a fan of Myrtle Beach, PLUS, Nags Head would be free, MB will cost us. :x

OK, Sunday check in at Myrtle Beach. Hopefully we can leave early to go back to OBX. The hotel is on the boardwalk, I need to see if I can ride on the boardwalk... boardwalk... seems kind of uppity for me.

they have certain times of the day where you can ride on the boardwalk. the boardwalk @ mb is far from "upity" .
the whole place is low life. we was there in june.
i hated it.well, i got to spend time with family..
so, i guess i didn't hate all of it. :)

oh yeah, bike looks cool.

KJV said:
they have certain times of the day where you can ride on the boardwalk. the boardwalk @ mb is far from "upity" .
the whole place is low life. we was there in june.
i hated it.well, i got to spend time with family..
so, i guess i didn't hate all of it. :)

oh yeah, bike looks cool.

Thanks, yeah, looks like 5am-10am bikes on boardwalk, and there are bike lanes on the roads there. Low-life, good way of looking at it, I was thinking "sold out." Most resort/vacation/beach places are now commercialized, but there is something just raw about Nags Head that I love. Hoping Irene will pass with minimal damage and we can check out early from MB and get back to the real beach. I guess the Sand Rover's first beach ride will be in South Carolina, even if the place doesn't deserve it.

yoothgeye said:
mattp427 said:

Yes, it has been done at least once, you just widen the triple tree clamps to bring the fork legs out wide enough to fit the wheel.[/qu

Thats what i was thinking, i guess i'm going to ahve to do some percision cutting.

mattp427 said:
Thats what i was thinking, i guess i'm going to ahve to do some percision cutting.

I don't like the original triple tree clamps, if you are going through the trouble to widen them, how about just make your own?

yoothgeye said:
mattp427 said:

I don't like the original triple tree clamps, if you are going through the trouble to widen them, how about just make your own?

How could i do that?

Absolutly brillant... I just read the whole thread and admire your style and skills. The beach bomb Sand Rover has the look.

I pray you and your family make it through Irene okay and that you still have a place to ride on Labor Day.

Kuttnhack said:
Absolutly brillant... I just read the whole thread and admire your style and skills. The beach bomb Sand Rover has the look.

I pray you and your family make it through Irene okay and that you still have a place to ride on Labor Day.

Thank you very much, My family and me are fine, but my shop took on major damage, possibly a full loss, here's a Facebook album that you might be able to view even if you are not on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... b60&type=1

Ouch!!! Been thinking about you guys up that way. Sorry abotu the shop, but at least everyone is okay.

Man sorry to hear about the Irene damage but im glad you and the family are OK.If you PM me your mailing address ive gathered up some West coast stickers for ya..

Haven't done any extensive riding on the sand, but shot a couple little videos, last video I aired down a little, going to keep playing with lower tire pressure until I hit the sweet spot, front still wants to plow a little when turning, but this thing is great on the sand. Can't wait to find softer sand.

Last edited:
COOL MAN!!!! It looks like you have the gearing about perfect.
I freeze framed the video multiple times.
The bike REALLY looks great!!!!
Bravo!

Latest posts

Back