Sand Rover DONE! (finished pics pg 5, sand video pg 7)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Sand Rover (complete and rideable, but not completED)

kingfish254 said:
You still need to post front and rear photos. That's where you can really see how fat these tires are on a small frame.

I'll get that picture before I leave with this bike this weekend, but now, it's time for an update!

First off I gotta give a BIG shout out to Cody (rrb id: The-Rookie), he's been working with me on this bike the entire time and found the second OCC for me. When it comes to welding, he's no rookie, so I have layed a few welds on this bike, but he has done most of them. I come up with dumb ideas and takes my directions and makes things happen. Thanks Cody. Here he is welding on my fork tonight because I just had to beef it up!

IMG_4638.jpg

While I'm on the subject of the fork, I just thought that the rectangle tube wasn't strong enough for a fork, so since the seatstays were used to make the fork, I still had the chainstays leftover. Cody already learned that if you stepped on them in the shop they would flip up and smack you in the shin, so I cut them up and got them ready to be welded inside the fork for reinforcement. There is still LOTS of tire clearance on the sides and top.

IMG_4641.jpg

Final welds were put on the frame and I added a bar to triangulate the rear extended section so it won't try to fold, plus it looks good. Here's the frame in primer:

IMG_4639.jpg

IMG_4640.jpg

The fork is also in primer now curing in the shop. Hopefully I can start putting the topcoat on tomorrow and be greasing all the bearings and assembling on Wednesday. I took off the OCC pedals and grabbed some Odyssey pedals for it. I also added 2 links to the chain, hopefully that will be enough to get the wheel far enough back in the stays to seat the brake pads properly.

Yes, I'm still excited about this bike, and now that all the reinforcements are done, I am very confident in riding it.

yoothgeye said:
Yes, I'm still excited about this bike.

I think that goes for a lot of us!!! I was jonezing for some more Sand Rover pics.

Hats off to you and Cody!!!!! That frame work looks awesome. I swear, someone needs to take your design to market!!!!!!!

Even though our bikes will have similar styles, they will look completely different. Yours is a beast that will be able to take anything (and I hope to see some photos of some dune jumps). That style just won't work with the Dahon frame. I see mine as more of dune/beach crusier where yours can pull double duty as a cruiser or a dune jumper.

I am glad that it looks like you will be able to have it ready for OBX. I am sure that you will have a blast with this beast.

Meanwhile, the seller in JAX agreed to my price on the second OCC, so now I just need to coordianate a 4 hour round trip. I might even have a 3rd OCC lined up by the time I get there.

KEEP ON TRUCKIN!!!!!!!!!! - MO FATTA MO BETTA

kingfish254 said:
I am glad that it looks like you will be able to have it ready for OBX. I am sure that you will have a blast with this beast.

I am ready for the beach, the family is ready, my son picked out which of his bikes to bring, I just took the fenders off my wife's cruiser and got a full foam handlebar wrap to "beach cruiser" it, the tall bike is painted and ready, and now the Sand Rover will be ready, BUT, there is an issue of a hurricane on the prowl. :x

kingfish254 said:
Meanwhile, the seller in JAX agreed to my price on the second OCC, so now I just need to coordianate a 4 hour round trip. I might even have a 3rd OCC lined up by the time I get there.

3rd? Cool, more parts and a tire that won't need repair.

Re: Sand Rover (done building, disassembled and being painted)

nice work bro.. the frame is taking shape real nice .. man i NEED A WELDER...... i want to build one of these...you have started a craze my friend.... :mrgreen:

jaysmo said:
nice work bro.. the frame is taking shape real nice .. man i NEED A WELDER...... i want to build one of these...you have started a craze my friend.... :mrgreen:

Thanks, but the craze could end with the first photo of me sunk to my axles in the sand digging it out with a shovel. :lol:

yoothgeye said:
jaysmo said:

Thanks, but the craze could end with the first photo of me sunk to my axles in the sand digging it out with a shovel. :lol:
:lol: :lol: naw then its back to the drawing board to find bigger tiers.... :shock:

Hang tight with Irene!!! We are keeping an eye on her too. Savannah is long overdue for one. Unfortunately the current track shows it rolling across NC Sunday morning.

Did you ever see the photo in this thread of the chopper with front and rear fat OCCs on it?
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28819

Went and looked at an OCC that popped up locally on CL, but the tires were too dry rotted and cracked (plus he wanted $40). I have everything lined up to head down to JAX and pickup two OCCs for $50 total. I'll still repair that other tire, just to try to do it.

kingfish254 said:
Hang tight with Irene!!! We are keeping an eye on her too. Savannah is long overdue for one. Unfortunately the current track shows it rolling across NC Sunday morning.

Did you ever see the photo in this thread of the chopper with front and rear fat OCCs on it?
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28819

Went and looked at an OCC that popped up locally on CL, but the tires were too dry rotted and cracked (plus he wanted $40). I have everything lined up to head down to JAX and pickup two OCCs for $50 total. I'll still repair that other tire, just to try to do it.

That is not the only OCC running wide rears front and back, I've seen another with a wide triple like that. The thought of widening the triple for my fork crossed my mind only briefly but it just wasn't the look I was going for on this bike. I'll have to find something else cool to do with my spare.

Wait, this might be the same one, pre-paint: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=41380&p=407291&hilit=occ+stingray#p407291

Sneaky peaky at paint, got a head start so that I could assemble sooner:

IMG_4642.jpg

Kept looking at it wondering what else to do for paint, a fade, some graphics, lines? Decided on nothing, haha I'll probably put beach stickers all over it.

This looks really good!It looks really stong with the added front and rear supports.I cant wait to see this assembled! 8)

Looking great with paint. I will see if I can find a RonJons sticker when I am in JAX.

FatBoy said:
This looks really good!It looks really stong with the added front and rear supports.I cant wait to see this assembled! 8)

Thanks, I really trust it now with the extra support, and it's really not as heavy as you'd think. The chromoly GT frame is a nice and light backbone. I keep looking at it outside and trying to hold back from running out there to throw it all together knowing that I'll just booger up the paint.

kingfish254 said:
Looking great with paint. I will see if I can find a RonJons sticker when I am in JAX.

That would be awesome! The OBX stickers (outer banks) are really popular around here, and the NC 12 (road that runs up and down the coast) are popular. Along with all the surf shops, I think I need a Whalebone surf shop and definitely some pirate flag stickers, maybe a William Teach flag!

NICE job!...Very well engineered, and very well executed....Should work well "on" the beach. But if it doesn't. Still a COOL bike to have.

Alright folks, the moment has come, the bike is done!!! This thing is awesome, I'm not bragging, I just think this is really cool.

IMG_4667.jpg

IMG_4666.jpg

IMG_4663.jpg

IMG_4662.jpg

Here are our requested shots Mr. Kingfish:

IMG_4665.jpg

IMG_4664.jpg

And a shot of Cody trying it out, for reference he is over 6 foot tall:

IMG_4668.jpg

Then there's a whole series of shots of me trying to get a photo of him bunny hopping it, it's not that it's not hoppable (it is, she's heavy, but I can hop it) but the low light conditions slowed my cheap camera down.

Anyway, I'm completely thrilled with this bike. To finish it I used a black front load stem off some random BMX, plus the bars with the rectangle tube top bar. I used my clear YETI grips that I got from Porkchop months and months ago, a set of Odyssey platform pedals, an old Scott seat, and finally I swapped out the red dice valve caps for the black, that was Cody's observation.

One thing in assembly that surprised me, I actually had to make a longer brake cable. :|

So anyway, what do y'all think?

Re: Sand Rover is FINISHED!!!!

You should be bragging, this thing is an awesome piece of work!!!!!

Thanks for the full monty shots. That's where you can really see how nasty fat nasty these tires are on the frame.

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! Have fun in the sand!! BRAVO!!!!

so awesome. I would totally own a 20" bike again if it were that.

GREAT JOB!! NOW THERE'S A BIKE THAT SAYS "GET OUTTA THE WAY"!! YOU DID IT!! NOW...QUIT CHOPPING UP MY BIKES!! :mrgreen: PEACE

Latest posts

Back