Sand Rover DONE! (finished pics pg 5, sand video pg 7)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Sand Rover (major progress, rolling on fat wheels!)

This is COOL :shock:

Looks like it should work great ,Good idea! 8)

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Something tells me the price of OCC chopper frames and rear wheels is goingto up around here :roll: :mrgreen:

That thing is just awesome!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Someone has one of those here but They want $80 for it and it is pretty rusted up.

bigblockthing said:
What was the serial number on that mach one though? :(

The Mach one was busted, beyond repair for a lower end "old School" BMX. I'll have to get a photo, here's the chopper and it's serial, haha.

IMG_4570.jpg

IMG_4573.jpg

SNGNP04H44706

kingfish254 said:
Someone has one of those here but They want $80 for it and it is pretty rusted up.

People think these are worth money, but they were sold in Walmart, sorry, I can't believe they will become highly collectable based on the sheer volume of merchandise Wally World sells. The only thing making them more collectable is me chopping them up! I bought the first for $20 at a yard sale, they had it sitting there all day with a $30 price tag on it and nobody was interested, I picked it up a few days later. It was perfect, rideable, nice. Last week I put a wanted ad on Craigslist asking for another one for cheap, within hours of posting my ad someone posted an ad with another nice one with all this "highly collectable" and "only appreciating in value" junk and they were asking $250, then another one popped up for $200. Haha, yeah right, I just waited till this $15 jewel showed up. Chain rusted stiff, missing fender, brake mount ripped off, crank arm gone, chain guard gone, rusted in seat post, but the rear tire holds air and the hub spins smooth. Just look around, they are out there.

I would love it if others would take on this same project.

Just went back through my notes, the front sprocket is 32 teeth, the rear is 20. :shock: This should be pretty low with the 20" tires, hopefully not too low, if it is I might start with a new freewheel before chainring.

kingfish254 said:
Dr. Tankenstein said:
Something tells me the price of OCC chopper frames and rear wheels is goingto up around here :roll: :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Dr. T

HEY YOU CWAZY WRATTERS!! QUIT CHOPPING UP MY BIKES!! PEACE

Jake Sensi said:

If I get up to Philly I'm going to find that dark dirty hole you are hiding your parts in, I need another one of these! :mrgreen:

tears have fallon how could u that poor pink mach one they were such light bikes and getting harder to find that looked like a santa ana one. it does look cool but i love old school bmx bikes so i will play taps tonight in honor of a fallon gt mach one please everyone take a moment of silence thank you

yoothgeye said:
Jake Sensi said:

If I get up to Philly I'm going to find that dark dirty hole you are hiding your parts in, I need another one of these! :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: I'VE GOT ONE THAT LOOKS LIKE IT JUST CAME OUT THE BOX. I JUST SAW ONE ON CL FOR $55. IT WAS $75 LAST WEEK. I'LL GIVE HIM TILL NEXT WEEK. LET HIM SIMMER IN HIS PRICE SOME. :lol:
2011-04-02173355.jpg
I GOT THIS ONE FOR $20...GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

bigblockthing said:
What was the serial number on that mach one though? :(

Looks like G5G1404:
IMG_4575.jpg

mykustomcruizer said:
tears have fallon how could u that poor pink mach one they were such light bikes and getting harder to find that looked like a santa ana one. it does look cool but i love old school bmx bikes so i will play taps tonight in honor of a fallon gt mach one please everyone take a moment of silence thank you

Don't cry over this GT, I have given it new life, a better life. I found it in a junk pile, it had bar ends on it's original handlebars, the rear stays had been run over, they were bent and cracked. Anybody who would've put time or money into bringing in back to BMX life would've been wasting money better spent on a higher end BMX.

OK, back to the Sand Rover, I didn't get a good angle of the extended "seat stays" last night:
IMG_4576.jpg

We used the leftover fork legs to make these.

Here is what I was talking about for the bottom bracket to make it easier to mount and align:
IMG_4577.jpg

The inner set of cups are the ones original to the GT frame, the outer set are off of a 16" OCC Chopper that I killed.

kingfish254 said:
Dr. Tankenstein said:

Cheers,
Dr. T

The seller emailed me and said he would take $30. I am going to go take a look at it . Wish me luck. :p

EDIT: After talking with the owner, it turns out the rear tire has a sidewall blowout, :cry: :cry: so it is shot and not a candidate for a sand bike. A new tire is $65. About the only thing of use on this one are the front forks maybe.

Hey B!! Use the forks, seat,crank,and put 2 -24 inch tires on the rear!! Now that would be Kwazy!! :idea: :wink: Peace

kingfish254 said:
EDIT: After talking with the owner, it turns out the rear tire has a sidewall blowout, :cry: :cry: so it is shot and not a candidate for a sand bike. A new tire is $65. About the only thing of use on this one are the front forks maybe.

That's too bad, all I wanted was good tires and tubes and I got them. Cody used the first fork on his burrito bike, I'm thinking about cutting the head tube off of this one and selling it with the fork, maybe a builder will want it. I will save the BB pieces for spares, the seat is crap and I have a good one that I don't need anyway. Handlebars, got 2 sets and no ideas for either, maybe they can be combined in some way. Also will have an extra front wheel. Man, I wish someone lived closer who wanted this stuff, I hate the idea of shipping parts, I tried to ship a small part to a fellow RRBer for free and it was lost in the mail, makes me so angry! There was no money involved, but if there had been I would've been even more upset, shipping is a pain and I'm not going to rest my reputation on the post office or another carrier.

That bike looks mean sitting still cant wait to see it rolling. 8)

Well, I bought the Stingray anyway, and I don't want to continue bogarting your thread about my search for parts. But I have started a Build thread of my own. It is just an idea so far, but I am calling it Dune Thuggy. I am going to try to do something similar to you but I want to marry it to a Dahon Classic folder frame.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=44315&p=432141#p432141

Take a look and tell me what you think. Of course now I have to find another StingRay.

yoothgeye, do you think your knees will be in your chest with the old 20 inch bmx frame being so low profile? Think a 26 inch mountain bike frame would have been a better candidate for this build just because the frame is much taller? Would be the ultimate short guy bike as is though. :mrgreen:

Carbon said:
yoothgeye, do you think your knees will be in your chest with the old 20 inch bmx frame being so low profile? Think a 26 inch mountain bike frame would have been a better candidate for this build just because the frame is much taller? Would be the ultimate short guy bike as is though. :mrgreen:

All you need is a longer seatpost. I think yooth's got it dead on as far as scale with the wheels. A big bike wouldn't be to scale with these big little tires.

kingfish254 said:
Well, I bought the Stingray anyway, and I don't want to continue bogarting your thread about my search for parts. But I have started a Build thread of my own. It is just an idea so far, but I am calling it Dune Thuggy. I am going to try to do something similar to you but I want to marry it to a Dahon Classic folder frame.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=44315&p=432141#p432141

Take a look and tell me what you think. Of course now I have to find another StingRay.

I haven't clicked the link yet, but consider me a fan already, I wanna see more sand bikes!

Carbon said:

I still ride BMX bikes, so the position shouldn't be a hindrance, and as Kingfish said, it was all about the scale with the tires, plus, since the rear stays had to be redone, it allowed us to give it more center ground clearance than a mountain bike, center of BB is at about 16".

What do you think about bending a long seatpost and sliding a swimming noodle over it for a seat?
Just a wacky idea, but it may work.

kingfish254 said:
What do you think about bending a long seatpost and sliding a swimming noodle over it for a seat?
Just a wacky idea, but it may work.

The layback seat post on it is pretty long and stretches me out good with a forward tilt to the handlebars, so it should be fine as is. Still going to try out different bars for what looks best.

Latest posts

Back