Sad story,73 Charger and a kids bad father

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So hears the deal.My next door neighbor kid got lucky just around the time he turned 15 and scored this 1973 Charger SE for 1400.00.Its a decent looking car with an older semi-restoration,recovered interior(bench),318 4bl. but it looks great.He is new to cars and has a long way to go with skill but works so hard to get this car built.His dad wouldnt lend a finger to the work so I logged endless hours getting the internally damaged motor fixed plus brakes,wiring etcetc. hoping to get him on the right path.
He mows yards and other things to raise money.I got him a free 400BB but he wanted to go all the way and found himself a 440 for 300.00.
Its machined ,many internals are bought,nice cam,sweet pistons etc..
Its been out at his dads families farm where he tries to sandblast the engine bay and get things ready in beetween his father screaming and yelling.His father recently banned all the kids friends from the farm so he has no help THEN the father booted the poor kids car out of the garage in a rampage and threatened to destroy it with a tractor.He has to bring it back to moms where he has no tools,no garage.
Apparently the dad didnt think booting him was enough and took a grinder to his fender in a fit of rage.(pics below)
Dad also welched on the machine work and the kid is worried about getting his block back.

He asked if I would finish the rebuild and find a place to work on it(i dont have a garage anymore).
We are going to finish the 440,a friend is rebuilding the transmission,the kid (still 15) has bought motor mounts,tranny kit,all the engine parts so with some luck we can get it together before he turns 16.

This kid tries soo hard,doesnt drink,do drugs or any BS,mom (with no help from the divorced father) pitches in all the cash she can.
All this kid does is think about this car.
Some fathers dont appreciate the small window of time we have to be fathers to our kids before they are grown.
There is far more to this story but it would take forever.Im going to try and get his dream up and running again although Im rusty and havent rebuilt a v8 in a decade or so (small engine mechanic by trade).

380385_329455660403964_100000185991.jpg

314507_319610998055097_100000185991.jpg

this is what his psycho rampaging dad did to the top of the drivers fender.
529723_457060264310169_100000185991.jpg

I'm gonna try to keep this post as clean as a I can.

To the so called "men" who have the gall to get women pregnant then not have the gall to take of the kids, to the men who beat their children, and/or terrorize their wives, these are not men. They're mice. Spineless mice who could nothing more than spread diesease and infest. The same to the women who take advantage of a man's success, tear him apart mentally, cheat on him, and take him into court and rip everything away he had worked hard for all his life. All the same, they're just as spineless.

Those types of people have absolutely no place in this world. One day we all shall be judged and the truth will come out. This man needs to have all parental rights taken away since he apparently hates his kid and everything he does. God Bless this child for his success, his hard work, determination, the fact that he is able to stay clean both physically and mentally in this physco-pathic world of disaster. God Bless his mother for here support of her child, no matter the project or what he decides to do. A parent's job is not to abuse their children, beat them, murder them, or whatever disgusting things I see in the news everyday. A true parent raises their child, not being best friends, but actually raising the child, showing them right from wrong, how to succeed, and showing them how hard work pays off and in this case how to beat the odds.

This "father" has no idea how lucky he is, or was. To have son who isn't coming home with 5 pregnant girls, doing 3 or 4 different hard drugs, or binge drinking every weekend.

'73 Charger? I see something this young guy and I have in common. We both are young and we both have relatively low-budget Mopars. I am redoing a '98 Dodge Stratus myself. I figured with cash for clunkers, high scrap prices, the RUST BELT, I take what I can get and in this case, it was the hand-me-down family car. Former family car, anyway. At 265,296 miles, the engine is good, trans is good, the body is the most solid in the state, yet electrical issues got it parked.

Best of luck to this young man and his loving mother. God Bless them both.

If he was in my area I would give him the garage space needed and all the help he needed. You are doing a great job with him.

Does this car still need any parts? I can keep my eyes peeled but I can't promise anything.

That's horrible that his dad is like that. I know I would be behind him 100% in trying to help him build it up. (I'd try to talk him out of the 440 for safety reasons but that's another story) I also know that if my dad did that to my fender there would be some legal action taken or a large cast iron frying pan upside his head while he sleeps. :mrgreen:

What a sad story :( That "father" isn't even a father.

I'm blessed to have loving parents who support me in everything I do.

That "father" should just hope that he doesn't cross paths with any of us. What a loser.

Good for the son to stick with it and not give up. It's a big enough challenge to focus on doing the work on something like this. It's a whole different problem dealing with someone actively trying to set you back. He'll come out of it stronger in the end, but I fear the damage dad will cause- immediately, the physical acts and the stress... long term, there will be hatred, resentment, maybe therapy or worse, violence.

You are doing a good thing, an invaluable thing, keeping the son on track and helping him as you are. It's a shame he doesn't have his father's support, but at least he has someone reliable and helpful. I hope you're also in contact with the mother regularly- from the sounds of it, there might be times he needs more than just car help.

Keep it up and let the kid know, he's got ten thousand friends, right here.

--Rob

Great kid with a great mom and I hope he has a great life enough for him to have enough money to keep him & his mom safe, the kid does great work but too bad his dad seems to be mean & stupid.

What's wrong with a 440 well anyways I have friend named Bobby in Idaho that has a 440 in his 1958 Plymouth that he uses it for drag racing, I know a lot more car guys and I will share this thread with them about this cool kid.

kngtmat said:
What's wrong with a 440 well anyways I have friend named Bobby in Idaho that has a 440 in his 1958 Plymouth that he uses it for drag racing, I know a lot more car guys and I will share this thread with them about this cool kid.
I only say I'd talk him out of the 440 because I remember all too well when I was 16, had a fresh license, and a 440 under the hood. I'm lucky I survived those years.

outskirtscustoms said:
kngtmat said:
I only say I'd talk him out of the 440 because I remember all too well when I was 16, had a fresh license, and a 440 under the hood. I'm lucky I survived those years.
Trust me I tried! lol
Im kinda worried about it too but the 400 I found him just wasnt enough,he really wanted that 440.
Id guestamate with the 10:5:1 pistons- 268/276 deg.duration Lift .494"/.513"cam, in a 1974 440 out of an RV with decent valve size,ported & polished heads (all done),and if he can find an 850cfm carb he should reach 400 plus hp. pretty easy.
Thats a little scary for a kid with no prior experience with even a mildly fast car.

With these marvelous modern cam grinds I dunno-maybe even 450hp???

Yes, but I do see a trend. This kid is BUILDING his car, no one is BUYING it for him and he certainly didn't buy it as is either. Typically, from what I've seen, myself included, those who work hard for their stuff take care of it and treat it responsibly. Now, he probably will floor it, take it to the drag strips, but as long as he keeps the lead foot driving to the race tracks, who cares?

You guys survived lead paint, cars without seat belts, air bags, etc. Yet the older generation seems much more responsible and reasonable.

partsguy said:
Yes, but I do see a trend. This kid is BUILDING his car, no one is BUYING it for him and he certainly didn't buy it as is either. Typically, from what I've seen, myself included, those who work hard for their stuff take care of it and treat it responsibly. Now, he probably will floor it, take it to the drag strips, but as long as he keeps the lead foot driving to the race tracks, who cares?

You guys survived lead paint, cars without seat belts, air bags, etc. Yet the older generation seems much more responsible and reasonable.
good points.all of them
Thanks!

My best friend had the same problem with his dad. Best he did was cutting ALL contact with his father. Changed phone and cell number, call the police every time he showed up drunk at his door. He was 18 when he did this. I still get calls by his father, asking for money or trying to convince me to tell his son to lend him money. So sad.
On the bright side, this experience showed us both a lot, it showed us how not to be. Hopefully this kid will learn the same thing.

About the car´s power: Formula 1 pilot, Sebastian Vettel, won his first F1 championship at age 23 and he´s the youngest one to do so. I admire (now and since I was a kid) your Navy pilots who can find and land an aircraft in a carrier on a stormy weather in the middle of the night, and many of them are this young too. My point?
If he gets the right teacher, good amount of experience on it and all the guidance he can, he´ll be just fine.
Sounds like a smart boy, teach him how to deal with all that power and the responsibility that comes with it while you build him the engine.
Tell him I say ( :wink: ) is not only about having the power, is about knowing what do with it.

Well if he's that good a kid, he will be responsible with it. Do you know how bad I was a 72, theres a forum- dodgecharger.com tell hime to check it out. Its for early chargers only not the 80s or current. Thats all the help i can give. You figure a man would be happy to have a son like that.

Latest posts

Back