RRBBO13 Rusty

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bub

Reaction score
So I’m currently building a bike and I stumbled across the build off thread and thought it would be cool if I entered mine. I read all the guidelines and luckily I fall within the guidelines.

The bike started as a super rusty 1957 Colombia Newsboy that I grabbed off Craigslist. I knew I wanted to build a low and stretched rat bike.

I started the tear down and got everything apart.

That’s when I notice this small rust hole underneath the top tube.

Which soon turned into this plus more when I started grinding at it.

By the end, I ended up cutting out that whole section plus about another couple inches each way until I found decent metal.

Last edited:
I had a piece of metal bent to fit the shape of the top tube and welded it in. I then went a head and use a little bindo filler to smooth out some low spots where the welds were.

I was going to leave it the raw metal but I figured I would try to paint it and blend it into the original patina. I went for the “weathered red” color.
Not perfect but not bad for a couple of rattle cans lol.

The next step was the clear coat. I wanted to lock in the original patina and also make sure I wasn’t getting rust all over me every time I rode. I kept reading online how regular clear coat doesn’t stick to rust so I had to find another alternative. I end up using a product called Rust Bullet Clear Shot which is a single component UV resistant clear coat rust paint. I’ve never used it but it seems like it’s going to be pretty good. Spraying it definitely worked better then brushing it. It dried nice and hard too. The only thing I don’t like about it is it’s high gloss and I would have preferred a satin.

Last edited:
Welcome to BO13.
Great frame patch
I kinda like the glossy rust look

You can always top coat it with a satin or matte clear. Or just run over it with some 2000 grit wet sandpaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! I have thought about that as well. Something I can definitely do in the future if the gloss ends up bugging me at the end.

Being the first bike I’ve ever tore down and built back up, I really had no idea about headsets or head tubes or really anything. Still learning! I finally figured out that my head tube was 1 1/8” so I ended up converting it over to a 1” so I could run the parts I wanted to. I wanted to mix the black and silver to kind of give it a korenof a pieces together rat look. That will continue with the rest of the bike parts.

Nice work on the patina! And your opposite sides of the color wheel rims work great with the orangish red of the frame.

Welcome to the build off and the most fun on the internet!

Nice work on the patina! And your opposite sides of the color wheel rims work great with the orangish red of the frame.

Welcome to the build off and the most fun on the internet!
Thanks! It was either lime green or baby blue but I thought the baby blue was too subtle. I wanted this bike to stand out!

Great color and flow so far!

The last piece of the puzzle that I was waiting for. The custom made drop brackets. They lowered the bike 2” and stretched it 4”. I designed them and had a shop CNC them for me. They had a great steel patina so I just shot them with some satin clear to preserve it. Only two bolts shown here but I ended up using 3 on each bracket just to make sure they weren’t going anywhere.

Latest posts

Back